Macros for strength

There have been a few threads on macros recently, but I’m interested in what macro percentages lifters have - specifically women. Most of the journal (scientific) evidence seems to be based on men or young women (I’m mid-40s). Lift 4 times a week, 121 pounds and c20% body fat. I’m not looking to gain or lose - although obvs I want to get stronger! Currently on 25% protein, 39 % carbs and 36% fat - what are everyone else’s macros?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I'm in my late 30s, 135lbs, I lift 3x per week. My goal is recomp.. so gaining muscle, strength, losing a bit of fat.

My macro ratios aren't really set in stone since I don't track, but loosely I try to follow in grams. I have my protein around 120-160g, fat is 75-100g, carbs fill in the rest (300-400g). So I guess it works out to like, 20% P, 30%F, 50%C but the % change based on my intake

This works well for me, I like my protein higher but not too high, fat moderate, carbs I go with the flow but when maintaining or gaining I keep them pretty high.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2020
    There have been a few threads on macros recently, but I’m interested in what macro percentages lifters have - specifically women. Most of the journal (scientific) evidence seems to be based on men or young women (I’m mid-40s). Lift 4 times a week, 121 pounds and c20% body fat. I’m not looking to gain or lose - although obvs I want to get stronger! Currently on 25% protein, 39 % carbs and 36% fat - what are everyone else’s macros?

You are right there is a lot of evidence based on younger folks.

There is quite a bit on older folks as well though.

Current evidence suggest that as early as age 40 and more predominantly starting around age 50...sarcopenia is a big concern and is one of the leading variables of disease, quality of life, or death.

In fact sarcopenia increases mortality rates by 26 to 33%.

Every ten years we will average a loss of 10% of our body's skeletal muscle mass without proper resistance training. So we can see the direct benefit of training even more as we get older.

We combat this with appropriate resistance training along with nutrition.

The ability to achieve MPS will have lots of factors such as...
    1. How male are you.
    2. Sufficient volume that recruits maximum muscle motors.
    3. How sensitive you are to training.
    4. Quality of protien including EEA s

Amoung others.

My default macro setup for lifters who are in their 40-50s will be slightly higher than what the evidence shows for the general population.

Reasoning is as we age, established evidence shows our ability to process protien as efficiently for MPS is also lower.

Meaning we need more protien and better quality at that to mirror our younger counterparts we see often in some of the published evidence.

I recommend as a default 40+ female slightly over
    1g P : 1# bw.
    .4g F: 1# bw.

I wouldn't follow general percentages as a hard rule because the numbers can be skewed on our activity level.

Think of it in this example. When I'm active and eat 6k of calories in a day. Do I really need 525g(35% of my intake)of protien or is 250g of protien going to be enough to achieve optimal MPS for my goal?

So for you as a individual I would target 130g of protien and 50g of fat with the rest carbs and concern if I miss that target at times.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    Thanks @Chieflrg and @sardelsa: I do actually aim for 130g protein (maintain on 2100cals) but have a habit of not meeting my fat macros and eating higher carbs. I suspect higher fat would be better for me given age (and medical history - blood sugar issues owing to previous hormone secreting tumour) so I’m just wanting to tweak a bit. Want to maximise output for my oly lifts! 😀
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Thanks @Chieflrg and @sardelsa: I do actually aim for 130g protein (maintain on 2100cals) but have a habit of not meeting my fat macros and eating higher carbs. I suspect higher fat would be better for me given age (and medical history - blood sugar issues owing to previous hormone secreting tumour) so I’m just wanting to tweak a bit. Want to maximise output for my oly lifts! 😀

I’m 47 female 135 pounds. Lift 5 times a week for hypertrophy rather than strength

I average 150 G protein a day.

Maintenance calories 2100 to 2300 or thereabouts.
  • mickstar_2003
    mickstar_2003 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi i prefer to go on total calories, than certain macro split. If you want to get stronger eat in a small surplus and gradually increase calories. I like to aim for 1gram of protein of bodyweight then split the rest of calories up between carbs and fats, whatever you prefer best. Total calories will predict how you perform not what macros you use.
  • stephweitzman
    stephweitzman Posts: 1 Member
    Clairey that is such a great question. I too have been searching for this as well. I am 54 yr old female. 5'7 135.5 pounds 30% body fat (Dexascan). I have lifted for years but I didn't see much gains because I wasn't eating enough. I am trying to gain strength and build up to maintenance calories. I have been tracking carefully for the past 2 months. First to lose fat which was much easier. I ate 1350 to lose weight and I am now working myself up gradually every week to reach maintenance of 2100. I am currently at 1600. Eating 140 gr. Protein, 52 gr. Fat and 138 carbs. Plan to add 100 calories each week until I hit 2100 and then see what I look like in the mirror/measure/weigh. I run a fb group for women and hormones. 75% of women who are menopausal are deficient in testosterone. I use a pellet of 75 mg testosterone to get my levels back to normal. This is really important and overlooked by conventional medicine. Testosterone deficiency I believe is the main cause for sarcopenia in both males and females in their plus 50's not to mention plus 70's!!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    @stephweitzman could you please post the studies that show a testosterone supplement has an effect on sarcopenia.

Cheers, h.
  • claireychn074
    @stephweitzman its great if you’ve found testosterone pellets helpful, but some of us are cancer survivors (and hormone affected for different reasons) so supplementing is not safe. I’ll stick to my regular check ups with my endocrinologist and seeking macro advice from experienced lifters and coaches!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    @stephweitzman its great if you’ve found testosterone pellets helpful, but some of us are cancer survivors (and hormone affected for different reasons) so supplementing is not safe. I’ll stick to my regular check ups with my endocrinologist and seeking macro advice from experienced lifters and coaches!

Had my big surgery 10 years ago tomorrow, passes the rreverse C-card while playing uno with yah!
  • claireychn074
    @Chieflrg ooo congrats! I’m at 5 years; I got my tummy tattoo to celebrate 2 years - no idea what I’ll do at 10 years!
  • capgordon81
    capgordon81 Posts: 105 Member
    Could do with help advice to grow muscle