Cross Training - Half Marathon

Options
I am starting the Hal Higdon Half Marathon Novice 1 program (my race is at the end of Nov).
The program indicates CROSS days and REST days.

What type of exercises do you recommend for CROSS days?

What do you recommend for REST days?

I have a gym membership, so I have access to gym equipment:
- treadmill
- row machine
- elliptical
- arch trainer
- stair climber
- spin class

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you and anyone training to run these long distances. I have a friend who is trying for the Boston marathon. These long runs are crazy! I'm currently lucky to make it 5 miles in an hour without dying.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Do whatever exercises you enjoy. All the machines you mentioned are good options, though I think I'd skip the treadmill just to allow more variety in your movement, especially if you're running on the TM. I usually go for a hike with my dog or ride a stationary bike or do yoga or pilates. I will occasionally do a hilly walking workout on the TM if I haven't been doing enough walking outside. The idea is to use your muscles without the impact that running every day has on your body. Since you'll be at a gym, weights are also an option. Just be careful not to overdo. Do your cross-training for about the same length of time you would be running (i.e. 45-60 minutes).
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I would definitely include some weight training as part of your cross training. When I started running, I did Body Pump (les mills) to get started.

Also I have found yoga has helped my running immensely and tell any of my friends who begin running to try to incorporate it.

I also think the stairclimber helped with glute activation. Runners tend to be quad dominant so any exercise that activates other parts of your lower body will help.