How do people like exercise??

creesama
creesama Posts: 125 Member
I've struggled with exercising since grade school. Now I'm a 30 year old mom of a 2 1/2 year old and 4 month old working 3 days a week and keeping up with life the best I can. I'm morbidly obese and starting to eat better, but I just can't figure out how to enjoy exercise or how to set myself up better for success. What do you guys do?

Replies

• BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    I'm 30 as well and a mum of 4 children. I hate exercise so what I did was buy just dance for my switch console and love playing it. I could easily do an hour as time passes quickly playing it.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    edited June 2020
    I dont do exercises I dont like just for the sake of exercising because i know I cant stick with it. Most people do like at least one thing that gets their body moving though and any body movement that raises your heart rate counts. If theres absolutely nothing you like , that's when discipline comes into play.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I used to just turn on music and dance, and it's fun to do with kids too. You can take them for walks, nature hikes, riding bikes, and play in the park. Just being active.
    If you try Leslie Sansone and like that type of workout, you might also like freedom fit on YouTube.
  • FoolishJoy
    FoolishJoy Posts: 139 Member
    After doing so many of the walking fitness workouts, I wanted to try some strength training. I highly recommend HASfit on YouTube.

I've been wanting to do some guided strength training! I'll have to check these out, thank you!!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I went for a scenic bike ride ride yesterday along the coast of a big lake, and along a river. Great time!

The "secret" is to try different options until you find one you like. It doesn't have to be hardcore, it doesn't have to be super intense, you don't have to do it in a gym or on a machine. You just have to find something you enjoy. Maybe swimming in lakes, maybe hiking, who knows?
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    The most important thing to do is to find something you enjoy and be disciplined. In the beginning it can be painful and uncomfortable but once your body gets into the habit of working out you’ll find it craves it. I HATE CrossFit and anything with a lot of quick transitions that require proper form but I discovered I love hill walking, running and cardio so much. I incorporate resistance and weights as well because I want to develop my muscles but that’s not what I enjoy but I know it’s beneficial. It’s all about realising that weightloss and fitness isn’t always easy but neither is being overweight. Sometimes you have to push through the wall to see road up ahead. Good luck!
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    FoolishJoy wrote: »
    After doing so many of the walking fitness workouts, I wanted to try some strength training. I highly recommend HASfit on YouTube.

I've been wanting to do some guided strength training! I'll have to check these out, thank you!!

Absolutely! Look for the beginner videos to try them out. Let me know if you like them. :smile:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2020
    Honestly i barely do. I like walking. Gonna buy a jump rope... weights are OK. Most everything else is meh. Though I enjoyed jogging today while my 3 year old held my hand and dragged me down the street telling me to go fast fast fast. That was pretty awesome.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Start small and try everything. I started with 15 minutes of at home exercise 2x/day because I knew that was something i could commit to. Eventually I started weightlifting and inline speedskating, both of which I love and now do as much for the joy of it as for the health benefits. Try it all-you never know what your passion will be!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    I love being active outside! Walking along the foreshore, through parks, etc. Hiking up hills and mountains. Cycling ... everywhere. :)

Exercise is freedom. It's doing what I want to do. It's challenging. It's exhilarating. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I exercise. I get to see places I wouldn't otherwise see. It's taken me all over the world. What's not to love? :)

But as above ... start small. Walk to the park with your kids. Show them trees and flowers and birds. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I've grown to love exercise, I love how energised and revitalised it makes me feel and I love how it makes me feel happy to be alive :smile:
    It didn't use to be that way though! but when I found this app and realised that by moving a bit more I would earn more calories to eat, then it seemed a win win to just do that... 8 years and counting with being on here now and I've simply got to enjoy moving, love to walk, cycle and run.