? about calories

Options
I have a question, how come at the gym it says I burnt a certain amount of calories but MFP says its way more? Should I use what the machine said or this?

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    At the gym, do you enter your age and weight? Because MFP is sort of a general figure, based on average. The actual amount burned can vary greatly (which is one reason eating exercise calories works for some and not for others, lol). The safest way to know is the use a heart rate monitor, ie: Polar F6.
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    At the gym, do you enter your age and weight? Because MFP is sort of a general figure, based on average. The actual amount burned can vary greatly (which is one reason eating exercise calories works for some and not for others, lol). The safest way to know is the use a heart rate monitor, ie: Polar F6.

I thought MFP used your entry you put in (i.e. wt, age)???
  • stormieweather
    Options
    Well it does use your weight, but it's still very generalized. For example, the more I push the machine at the gym, the more calories it tells me I'm burning (ie: stationary bike on max level and I'm pedaling at maximum speed). I can do an easy 10 minutes on the rowing machine and burn 94 calories or I can do 10 intense minutes and burn 125 (both at max resistance, but I'm working harder the second example) MFP can't measure that.
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    Well it does use your weight, but it's still very generalized. For example, the more I push the machine at the gym, the more calories it tells me I'm burning (ie: stationary bike on max level and I'm pedaling at maximum speed). I can do an easy 10 minutes on the rowing machine and burn 94 calories or I can do 10 intense minutes and burn 125 (both at max resistance, but I'm working harder the second example) MFP can't measure that.

ok gotcha! thanks!
  • DianneMoreno
    Options
    interesting, thank you!
  • stormieweather
    Options
    I still think both MFP and the machines can be way off. A HR monitor is the most accurate way to measure calories burned :)