Weighing

Options
What is better, Weighing yourself every day or once a week or not at all. Thoughts?

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    What is better, Weighing yourself every day or once a week or not at all. Thoughts?

Completely personal decision
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There's no one best way. I like having lots of data, so I weigh daily. Others find that weighing once a week works best for them.
  • mc62412
    mc62412 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only record it on here on Sundays.

I like daily because if I see that number creeping in the opposite direction, then I adjust my eating.
    It can get frustrating to see little movement when weighing in daily. But then when I recorded it here for the week, it was a significant difference.

It is easy to get discouraged with daily weigh ins if it’s not what you expect. For me it motivates me to make even better choices.

I’m also take pictures at easy weigh in. I wish I did measurements before I started so I could see the progress now. Too late. Unless I start from where I’m currently at. But then I got get the full effect. Lol
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    It’s a personal choice. I weigh every day and log my weight in an app called Happy Scale. It gives me a moving average of my weight. I feel like this whole process gives me a more accurate picture of my weight loss than weighing less often.
  • glowingirls
    glowingirls Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    mg is it only me that get frustrated when you step on the scale and find out you actually gained weight ... uhhh i try so hard to be healthy ... so this week i was 62.2kg then lost 0.2kg (62kg) was happy and motivated then lost 0.1 (61.9kg) next day still happy .. at least i lost some :) ... gained it back next day (62kg)😔 ... then i lost 0.3kg (61.7kg) the next 🤩🤩omg lost more then usual yayyy ... guess what gained 0.2 kg today (61.9kg) ... but i'm gonna say yesterday i eat more then usal but like 200 more calories then usual like 1450 calories .... i dont knwo why but i gain or dont lose weight when i eat 1400 or 1300 calories but lose up to 0.4 kg a day when i eat 1100 or 1200 calories ... and it's what 100 or 200 calories more ... omg i cant with my body ...... so i'm 167cm was 68kg now 62kg so i lost over 6kg in 1.5 monthes when the 1200 diet .... my gole weight is 58 or 57kg .. i'm scared that when i start eating 1800 calories to meintaght my 58 kg weight i will gain weight .... anyone who was on the 1200 calories diet for more then a month did you gain weight after you starting eating normally ???
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    @middleagegirl, as everyone else says, it's personal choice and there are pros and cons to whatever you pick. I weighed weekly, every Monday, for years and notes the figure but, whilst I was losing weight, I'd sometimes jump on the scales in between times just out of curiosity. It's slipped recently but that's partly because I'm now in maintenance and know that if I eat the calories that MFP gives me and I eat my exercise calories, I should stay the same weight. The other factor is that I've been on furlough for 3 months and I keep losing track of what day it is! I suspect I'll get back into the routine of weighing every Monday once I'm back at work. Take a look at igfrie's post about having given up weighing daily, after 13 months of doing so, as that has some interesting perspectives.

@glowingirls, as you've copied and pasted this on a couple of threads, I shall copy & paste my answer to you in the hope that you see it as so many things in your comment are alarming.

No I haven't put on weight now that I've started eating at maintenance, because my maintenance calories are how many I need to eat to maintain my current weight. I was eating 1200 calories for 2 years as that gave me the deficit to lose weight. Now that I have reached my goal, I don't need to be in a deficit and so I eat more.

But weight loss is not linear and never will be. That's what several people were commenting on in @igfrie's threat about giving up weighing dailyand also what jelleigh says above. It's why many people do weigh themselves daily - if you see it going up and down you know it's normal, whereas if you only weigh once a week or randomly and you happen to pick the day where your body is having a small 'up' moment, you may feel discouraged. You need to look at the overall trend over a period of about 6 weeks, not focus on what's happening day to day or intraday. Also, you're losing too rapidly if you've lost 6kg in 6 weeks. With only 5kg (10lbs) to lose, your goal in MFP should be set to lose at 0.25kg (0.5lb) a week. If your maintenance at your goal weight will be 1800 and you're currently eating 1200 (do NOT eat less than 1200), you're eating at a deficit of at least 600, probably 700, now. That is much too aggressive. Set your rate of loss to 0.25kg a week and eat the number of calories that MFP gives you. If you exercise, log that exercise and eat those calories too. That is how MFP is designed.