Weight loss and sizing

Options
Question for thosewhoe have lost, gained and lost again- do You find that a certain weight consistently correlates to a size for you? I realize that there is huge fluctuations in clothing aizes so I dont mean "all people who are X weight are X size". What I mean is do you find that as you lose, you end up in the same size you were last time you were that weight?

I ask because I seem to be going down in size but the last time I was this size, I was like 20 lbs lighter. As a woman, I know it's unlikely to be muscle weight making a difference. So I'm wondering if this is a thing that other people have experienced? (For reference, the clothes are the same brand and cut so I am comparing apples to apples)

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’ve found both above to be true. I’ve lost a lot of weight 3 times in my adult life, while all 3 times, it came off in my face, hands and feet first, there were 3 different locations the weight came off each time after that. Weird.
    And sizing vs weight is a lot different than when I first lost weight in my early 20’s. I was a size 10 at 120# most recently size 10 at 149# 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I’ve found both above to be true. I’ve lost a lot of weight 3 times in my adult life, while all 3 times, it came off in my face, hands and feet first, there were 3 different locations the weight came off each time after that. Weird.
    And sizing vs weight is a lot different than when I first lost weight in my early 20’s. I was a size 10 at 120# most recently size 10 at 149# 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes this is exactly what I mean! I am really curious about why this might be, especially when people tell me that its very hard for a woman to build significant muscle (like it would be at least 10 lbs worth).
    Last time I was size 12 it was in my early 30's and I was at about 160#. Now im 39, and a size 12 at like 180#? Seems weird. And Im wondering if it might just be the pattern and if so, maybe I should adjust my goal weight ? (which is 140 which in my late 20's put me at a size 8).
    This could be 2 things. Even within the same brand, sizes change over the years. This is called vanity sizing. So unless you are using the exact same pair of pants from before, then this is a likely scenario.

It may be a vanity sizing thing. Although I do have old clothes from before so maybe I will give them a shot and see if that makes a difference)

Bodies are weird, and I've given up trying to understand them. :)

Lol - so true!!!

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yet another interesting topic on the MFP boards!

Guy here.

I've been up and down the weight ladder a few times, ranging from 200 to 330 pounds. Spent most of the last 15 years (well) over 300. I think the last time I was sub 300 before I started dieting in June '19 was maybe 2005. I'm currently 2/3 of the way back to my college weight LOL

During all my ups and downs, my weight had a precise correlation to sizes. Specifically: 18 pounds per jeans size.

size 36 - for those three minutes in college when I was at or under 200 pounds
    size 38 - 201 - 218 lbs
    size 40 - up to 236
    size 42 - up to 252
    size 44 - up to 270
    size 46 - up to 288
    size 48 - up to 306
    size 50 - up to 324
    I never actually bought 52's. 50 was as high as I was willing to go even when I was 330 lbs, at that point those 50's were tiiiiigggghtt

Now what's weird this time, after all these years of being 300+, is that on the road back down, the above formula still more or less applies in the sense that it's still 18 lbs per size (i.e. 9 lbs per waistline inch), BUT... it requires an extra 6-7 lbs lost to get comfortably into the next lower size.

So for example, I am presently in 42's at 246 lbs, but they only recently got truly comfortable, whereas in the old days I could take it to the bank that 42's would work up to 252 lbs. When I was at 252, 42's made me feel like a tightly wrapped sausage.

I have been wondering about this...
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This could be 2 things. Even within the same brand, sizes change over the years. This is called vanity sizing. So unless you are using the exact same pair of pants from before, then this is a likely scenario.

On the other hand, I have worn the same size at vastly different weights, but that 100% is due to muscle composition. Even without intentional exercise and strength training, muscle and overall body composition does change with age.

The vanity sizing is real. And a real pain when trying to order clothes. Last summer I had to replenish my jeans wardrobe, so I went to my regular store, got my regular size and fit. And nothing fit. They were all baggy—I had to go down a size, even though I was the same weight. I mainly lift weights, so thought maybe it was muscle....nope (or not primarily). I came home w my new pants and held them up to the old ones...and they were the same exact size/cut/shape. They just stuck a smaller size label on the same exact size pants.

This was ONE YEAR apart. So I really have no confidence that my current 0s and 2s are really much of any smaller than my 4s from 15 years ago (wish I kept a pair to try!), even though I’m 8-10 lbs lighter.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,502 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing: Definitely a factor, over the long haul (in the US, anyway). I actually still own some clothes that I wore in my 20s/30s (sentimental items, like a dress my mom made me), and remember the sizing (number) of others.

From the clothes I still have, I'm a little bit bigger now at the same bodyweight (not apallingly so, given that age 20 was 44 years ago!). I can fit and even fasten, but they're unwearably tight. (Oh, hey, I can be graphic - warning, it ain't pretty!)
    At age 22, and close to my current weight, I got married in this wool skirt. It fit better then - didn't have the pull-y wrinkles, or that distressing "tuck" in my muffin top :lol: .dlpmp8fzuwpk.jpg

The smallest size I got down to back then, maybe around age 19-20, was a size 8, when I weighed in the mid-teens, let's say 116-118 ish. Recently (OK, 2016 ;) ), when I overshot goal weight a bit on the way down, I hit that weight, and had to buy a size 4. Size 6 generally fits me now (about 130), and as far as I can recall, that was more like a 10 or even 12 back in the 1980s.

FWIW.

Yeah, try on some old clothes, if you have them. That's the straight story. ;)
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Yet another interesting topic on the MFP boards!

Guy here.

I've been up and down the weight ladder a few times, ranging from 200 to 330 pounds. Spent most of the last 15 years (well) over 300. I think the last time I was sub 300 before I started dieting in June '19 was maybe 2005. I'm currently 2/3 of the way back to my college weight LOL

During all my ups and downs, my weight had a precise correlation to sizes. Specifically: 18 pounds per jeans size.

size 36 - for those three minutes in college when I was at or under 200 pounds
    size 38 - 201 - 218 lbs
    size 40 - up to 236
    size 42 - up to 252
    size 44 - up to 270
    size 46 - up to 288
    size 48 - up to 306
    size 50 - up to 324
    I never actually bought 52's. 50 was as high as I was willing to go even when I was 330 lbs, at that point those 50's were tiiiiigggghtt

Now what's weird this time, after all these years of being 300+, is that on the road back down, the above formula still more or less applies in the sense that it's still 18 lbs per size (i.e. 9 lbs per waistline inch), BUT... it requires an extra 6-7 lbs lost to get comfortably into the next lower size.

So for example, I am presently in 42's at 246 lbs, but they only recently got truly comfortable, whereas in the old days I could take it to the bank that 42's would work up to 252 lbs. When I was at 252, 42's made me feel like a tightly wrapped sausage.

I have been wondering about this...

@lgfrie This is interesting because this is essentially the opposite of what others are saying about vanity sizing. And I've seen posts from other guys that say they experience vanity sizing too, but it seems that you are having the same phenomenon as me with weighing more at a given size than before.

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if the vanity sizing is as pronounced? I know if I go shopping in the states, I fit in a "smaller size" so I can see there's at least a difference between the two countries. But that doesn't tell me if Canada is shrinking their sizes too. Like don't get me wrong - over a long time (like 30-40 years) they've definitely changed. If you go wedding dress or bridesmaid dress shopping or is you sew, you see the "real" sizing there.

So I'm a little wondering (not sure this is even possible?) if I have a larger amount of visceral organ-surrounding type fat now than I did before? (Which would track since long term weight issues cause that which is also correlated to the many health issues of being overweight). My (entirely made up) theory is that I'm losing the outer body weight fat which is making me smaller in size, but I'm heavier then before because I've got far deposits nestled between and around my organs. Which would add to weight but not be so visible from the outside. Anyone know how visceral fat works?

I will try to dig up some old clothes. The problem is that the clothes are mostly a few sizes down yet. Might be awhile before I can test. Although my wedding dress might work now come to think of it.....
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have clothing from high school labeled a size 12. I am 20-25lbs heavier now and in a size 10-12. The clothing from high school is tiny. Most of this is vanity sizing that has occurred in the past 21years. I have current clothing in ranges from 6-14. I wish they would be forced to stick with appropriate sizing that makes sense. It is so hard to shop!

Body composition can change things as well. In 2015, I got down to my “goal weight” for about 30seconds. I didn’t even have much time to replace clothing before my health took a turn and I gained it back. But, I did buy one nice pair of pants. I have been lifting heavy for the past two years, I just did a very slow mini cut and at 20lbs heavier than I was when I bought those pants they fit very well. Slight gaping at the pockets but I have worked hard on glutes and legs so only a tiny bit more loss and they will be perfect!

And as a third point, I agree with the statement that bodies are weird!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing is real. I am 20 pounds heavier than I was in high school, but a size smaller. Yeah. Sure. :neutral:
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Vanity sizing. I no longer go by sizes because according to where I shop, I can wear anywhere from a size 4 to a 12. Yes, it varies that much. I find that with higher quality clothing I wear a smaller size, versus something I picked up out of Walmart.

Soooo, I have to try on everything, which is impossible right now. I only wear stretchy clothes when working out. I want everything fitted.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Bodies are weird.

I find that while I am typically about the same size when I’m a certain weight (going up/down), how much I do certain types of exercise makes some difference in my shape. Certain heavy lifts make me slightly more compact. Not like OMG girl you’re so ripped! But just enough that clothes sit a bit differently. And since I’m somewhere in the 5-10lb range for a whole different clothing size, “just a bit” can make a difference:

I’m not looking at size numbers-I’m talking the exact same pair of jeans. So mine is the same apple. I have clothes in size 4-20 and they all fit. I’m talking about how this one specific pair of jeans fits at such and such a weight and another pair fits at a different weight.