Can i get some advise on my calorie intake/Net please?

Options
Today :
Calories I ate today: 120
Calories I burned Exercising: 215
Net:-95

Yesterday:
Calories I ate:927
Calories I burned Exercising: 1,056
Net:-129

monday:
Calories I ate: 995
Calories I burned Exercising: 945
Net: 50

Sunday:
Calories I ate: 472
Calories I burned Exercising: 1,001
Net:-529

Saturday:
Calories I ate: 1,250
Calories I burned Exercising: 1,318
Net:-68

Am i eating too less/too much. I'm unclear on how much i should cut back. I'm 18 years old, and i'm 6ft1, I exercise a lot to burn off every calorie i eat and then some. I've been dieting for a few weeks now.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    You don't say your weight and your goals, but regardless -

YOU NEED TO BE NETTING ABOUT 2500 A DAY.

• JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more.
    If you net less than 1200 calories, your body goes into starvation mode. Your body won't be able to complete basic functions (like growing hair, digesting food, etc) if you are only consuming 50 NET calories.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    The point isn't to burn off everything you eat in an entire day.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    open your food diary
    are you male or female?
    what is your body weight?
    what do you do for exercise? how do you track it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You're eating way too little...you shouldn't be at zero calories or negative calories. Your calorie GOAL is net of exercise and already includes a huge deficit of calories from a maintenance level of calories. The average female who is relatively in-active maintains around 2,000 calories per day.

You need to understand that your body burns calories just being alive. You have a Basal Metabolic Rate...this is the rate at which your body burns calories just to keep your organs functioning and what not...you'd burn these calories in a coma...they happen to be the largest part of your daily calorie burn...generally in the neighborhood of 60% - 70% of the calories your body would need to maintain. Without knowing your stats I can't say exactly what your BMR is...but on average, it's about 1300-1500 for most females...this means if you were in a coma and the hospital fed you 1300-1500 calories per day, you'd just maintain your weight (and probably actually lose some).

What you're doing is extremely dangerous and destructive. You really need to do some research before starting all of this. What you're currently doing is going to leave you in the hospital in pretty short order.

Edit: I just realized you're a male...you definitely need to eat more. I'm 5'10" and grossed around 2100-2200 calories per day to lose 1 Lb per week...my net was around 1,850. I maintain at around 2700 calories per day. Eat dude...and stop with the insane exercise...you don't need to burn 1000 calories every day...use your diet for weight control and exercise for fitness.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    :noway:

Way, way, WAY too little!

I agree with the above post that you should be netting over 2000 cals a day.

Heck, I'm a 45 year old, 5' 8" woman and I net 1600+ cals a day. (I'm assuming you are male, because of your height, but I suppose you could be female. :smile: Either way - eat more!)

Food is fuel, man - gotta feed that machine! Why on earth are you eating such a low amount? Surely that is not the daily goal that MFP gave you when you entered your info. Enter the information accurately and realistically, and then eat to or close to goal. Understand that the goal MFP gives ALREADY has a deficit built in - meaning you can eat TO GOAL eery day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. if you exercise, those cals are added back in to avoid created too large of a deficit, so your daily NET cals should be at or close to goal.
  • Outwardlycalm
    Outwardlycalm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh but you are not eating enough on a regular basics. Really only 470 calories for one day?! In my opinion you should try to eat 1200 calories a day and more if you are working out excessively. Your body needs fuel to burn when you exercise. Once your body has the fuel you will lose weight not muscle. Maybe check out the book "Eat more to lose more" it might help.
This discussion has been closed.