Supine Push Up

Options
fstrickl
fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
Okay, all the exercise pros out there - can you please help me understand these? I feel like I'm just laying on my back and straining my neck. I usually just follow FitnessBlender videos, but this move has stumped me. Any tips on modifications for these? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Strange exercise, but good for the posture muscles. Practice the movement in the air first. On the floor, keep your head & back aligned - don't jut your head forward or tilt it back. If you still can't do it, try it with your arms on a couch or stairs and lower body on the floor.

If that doesn't work, just do bent-over rows instead, using anything heavy (water jug, bag of canned food, etc). :+1:
  • fstrickl
    Options
    @Cherimoose thanks for the tips! I think the problem may be that I just have weak back muscles.

Also really appreciate the bent-over row alternative suggestion! I can do those. Maybe I should up my weight for them and that will help with supine pushups.

Curious with whomever disagreed with you and why...
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Is that what it's called? The Tapp Brothers did this in a YouTube video I saw recently (about pull up alternatives, I believe). I'd never seen it before and was quite impressed. Lemme find it...

https://youtu.be/vGAK2-_kn1U

FF to 6:34 if you're not interested in the whole thing. He calls them a "Reverse Elbow Push Up"
  • fstrickl
    Options
    Thanks, @MaltedTea ! That looks exactly like a supine pushup to me. The only difference is I cannot get off the floor or barely move. Hah. Looks like I have a lot to practise.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Well, there are alternative moves in the video, and as @Cherimoose described to help work that body part.

Like push-ups, it seems you'd get better at these by just...doing these, I guess lol (I used to HATE when trainers would tell me that).

But then if you can't, perhaps this is where the complementary muscle-building alternative exercises come into play. Ask a trainer and see what they suggest!