white or brown rice

Options
What is better for you or does it matter? White rice or brown rice.
Steamed.

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    White rice for me as I like it. But have to be aware of how much I consume.

If diabetic, I understand brown rice is 'better' in terms of how the body breaks it down.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    All rice matters

😂
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Literally doesn't matter. Eat the one you enjoy eating.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    All rice matters

I'm sooooooooo glad I'm not the only one who went there. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the nutritional differences are pretty minor. It's hard to think of a situation where that simple choice is going to be the difference between someone getting what they need versus not. I'd say people should generally just have the one that they prefer. With some kinds of meals, I like white, others I prefer brown.

This.

I like brown rice a bit better, but am not that into rice so don't eat it that much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What is better for you or does it matter? White rice or brown rice.
    Steamed.

If you look at the nutritional profile of each, the difference is pretty minimal. In the context of your overall diet, I'd say it's pretty immaterial.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I prefer brown, unless having thai / indian food
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I've started cooking both and mixing them together. I prefer the taste of white but, as the profile above shows, brown is lower cals & carbs for more fibre.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Especially for those of us with Type II diabetes, looking for which rice has a lower glycemic impact has some importance.

From Tufts Univ. School of Nutrition & Science Policy, “As general advice, choose a parboiled rice or long grain brown rice over short-grain white rice, and remember that cooling rice or adding legumes to rice lowers the GI. Suitable grain substitutes that fall into the low-GI food category (under 55) include wild rice, pearl barley and quinoa; these may accompany your main dish very well in place of white rice.” https://www.nutritionletter.tufts.edu/ask-experts/which-type-of-rice-has-the-lowest-glycemic-index-score

Brown rice qualifies as a whole grain and is marginally better for you but if you are only eating a little rice on rare occasions, don't worry too much.