Energy gel?

Options
Hi everyone! I am in the process of training for a half marathon. I am always researching, googling, posting for advice and tips on this. One thing I keep seeing is energy gel. What exactly is it, and should I have it for a half marathon?

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    We use it for our long rides (we are training for a 50 miler). It's basically sugar/carbs. it goes right to the muscles for energy. I take one every 45 minutes to keep the energy sustained. We like the power bar strawberry banana and green apple, but the green apple is really hard to find!
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Energy gel is just like a shot of carbs(and some electrolytes, depending on the brand) that is absorbed by your muscles. It is good when you have completely depleted all of your reserves and it is best to take it before you "bonk"..
    I only use the energy gels when i do long rides (anything above 75 miles) and when i run marathons i use it around miles 20 to give me that boost of energy for the last 6 miles;). I can't take more than one as my stomach starts acting up..
    they come in different flavoes and there are so many brands out there. Try experimenting and see which brand/flavor works for you and when is it more beneficial for you to take it.
    Cheers
    Dounia
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I've heard a lot of good things about Hammer Gel
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    I use the Cliff Shots on long bike rides. The kind I get have caffeine in them as well which REALLY helps with your endurance levels.