Maining Muscle Mass

Options
So I am trying to maintain muscle mass, while losing fat. I have some insight as to my sleeping schudule (I work crazy hours), but do both cardio and strenght training. I rest on my rest days. I can't help to get 25000-35000 steps a day due to my job. I have boosted my protien, my fiber, lowered my carbs, and drink about 100oz of water a day. I was doing really good, average of .2-.5 lbs a week. All a sudden I dropped 3+ lbs in the last week, and my fitbit scale shows muscle mass! Any suggestions!? I don't want to lose my muscles, I want to lose fat %. Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about what your Fitbit scale is telling you for muscle vs fat -- those sorts of scales are pretty famously inaccurate. As long as your deficit is reasonable, you're getting sufficient protein, and your deficit isn't too high, you're doing what you need to do.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    #1 - Your fitbit scale can't really tell if you lost muscle mass. It can only tell if you lost weight. All the other stats it gives you...well, to be nice, they're baloney.

If you're lifting, getting adequate protein, and slowly losing, you should be fine. You don't say how much you have to lose in total, but 0.5 per week is great. The 3 pound anomaly I wouldn't worry about. Water weight in some way.
  • Xlivnfree1982
    Xlivnfree1982 Posts: 237 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thank you. Wish I would of know about the scale. I thought it was legit, but I'll just use it for weight I guess. Wasn't worried about the weight so much tho, as long as I was losing fat % . I would like to reach 140lbs, I am at 160.9lbs right now. It is all in my midsection and is taking forever it seems!
  • torridcrafter
    torridcrafter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How many grams of protein are you getting per day? And how much do you weigh? I am currently cutting with a coach and to maintain muscle mass at 141lbs I am eating 165gr protein per day.