Coconut oil

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
Before I post PLEASE behave! I've just ordered some mainly for beauty use but I notice its also cooking grade so was wondering how to use it and what the benefits are of using it over say olive oil or vegetable oil (if any). Thank you!

Replies

• shivles
    Options
    No one?
  • ChristianIsInsane
    Options
    sdgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I use it for frying, rather than polyunsaturated, which are not stable at high heats. I've also started using it in some baking and have discovered it is cracking for Yorkshire puddings.

You're better off googling the health benefits. I've seen some pretty whacked ideas about coconut oil on here.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I use it for frying, rather than polyunsaturated, which are not stable at high heats. I've also started using it in some baking and have discovered it is cracking for Yorkshire puddings.

You're better off googling the health benefits. I've seen some pretty whacked ideas about coconut oil on here.

Exaxtly what she said.
    I use it to cook fish filet. I save a little quantity of the cooking quantity i have measured and let it melt on the fish as i serve. It gives it a faint coconut taste, soooo good!
    Make you you get extra virgin coconut oil in a glass container, not plastic. You never know what plastic molecules will migrate into your oil.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking everything. Threw out any other oils we have here.
  • shivles
    Options
    Is it better for you than olive oil or is it just bette for cooking because of the high smoke point?
  • Squirrel1601
    Options
    Coconut oil is more likely to be used for energy and not stored as fat due to its structure and it has been shown to improve markers of overall health. I take 5g before training.
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into the benefits of coconut oil too and decided to give it a try. It's quite expensive but i found it in Holland & Barretts penny sale, £14.99 a jar but two for £15! Unfortunately the sale ends today at midnight. They do international delivery too.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    a jar of groovy food company extras virgon coconut oil is about £6 in tesco, great for hair moisturising, makeup removal, and cooking with in place of vegetable or olive oils. Love cooking fish and roasting veg in it particularly!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of butter on most things. Cooking at high tempatures it tends to burn. It is great on toast. I use it on my legs too :)
  • shivles
    Options
    I found a 1kg tub on eBay for about £9 :)
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    I use it in place of vegetable oil. I also like to mix it in with my oatmeal.
  • lizzieloucaws
    Options
    Hello I have been told that it can be used in place of any cooking oil and is very good for you. I am not sure how it compares to olive or rapeseed oil (my personal favourite) in health benefits. But i am aware it makes a great hair conditioner and external beauty tool. Good luck and post your thoughts :)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Use it just like you would olive oil - I've switched 7/8th of all oil use to coconut (I have half a bottle of olive for when I need liquid oil - coconut will solidify depending on temp) plus I use it as a daily moisturizer & after I dye my hair, the next 2-3 days, after I wash I put a small amount in.

Just make sure to get virgin &/or food grade. I either get Vitacost or Trader Joe's (and they make a Spray version)
  • bkandisjj29
    Options
    I use it to wash my face every night. It has totally changed my skin. I also use it on my little boys boo boo's, because it is naturally anti-bacterial. I love it, can't do without it.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I solely use coconut oil for all my cooking, mind you I'm really not a great cook and don't make anything too fancy...stir fry, eggs, fish, chicken, I use it in baking too. I found it at Costco for $15 (CAD) for three jars (best deal!)...if you go to any other health food stores around here (Canada) its usually around $8-$10 (CAD) just for one jar.

In any case, hope you enjoy it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    oil is oil in my book.....
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use it mostly as an all-over moisturizer and a little in my hair. I keep meaning to use it for cooking/smoothies, etc but I forget since I keep it in the bathroom. Out of sight, out of mind. It has a lot of great health properties too. HIV + folk can use it to increase their immunity. I hear it is good for IBS, wounds, etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Is it better for you than olive oil or is it just bette for cooking because of the high smoke point?
    Saturated fat is the most stable oil for cooking and coconut oil is 92%. I also use ghee and duck fat. Olive oil is fine for cooking as well, just don't crank the heat.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    fry EVERYTHING with it! it has a higher smoke point than olive oil so its perfect - it does the most amazing things to meat :) great moisturiser too btw.

also mix with almond oil for dark circles under the eyes - mine are gone!!