Need Motivation

Options
My alarm went off at 3:45 this morning to go to the gym. (It goes off at 3:45 every weekday.)

I didn't wanna. I hadn't slept well. I was tired. My back was sore from heavy deadlifts yesterday. I wasn't motivated to go to the gym this morning.

But I am dedicated. I'm dedicated to my training and my goals. I've created habits to reach those goals.

I had already laid out my gym clothes and work clothes, and packed my breakfast and lunch to take to work the night before. Ingrained habits carry you through when the motivation isn't there.

I got my *kitten* out of bed, got dressed, even loaded the dishwasher, and headed to the gym. By 6:00 a.m. this morning, I had done dishes, lifted weights, did a little HIIT cardio, and was on my way to work. That isn't motivation getting that done.

How have you created habits to carry you through when the motivation isn't there?

15p61b3n9azg.jpg

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Pretty much like you, I do eating and training on autopilot. So I don’t think about whether to do or not to do training/eat protein/ veggies or go for a walk, whatever the thing is. It’s just repetition. Takes zero brain energy l. I’m a bit like a happy hamster on a wheel.

In terms of training I think having a structured plan has been a winner for me. Rather than randomly picking heavy *kitten* up which is what I would do in the past.

Hiit at 6 am is another level of dedication. I salute you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'm always on auto pilot. Up by 4:30am and out by 5:45am after taking care of paperwork for work. Then hit the gym from 6am, start work about 7:30am and don't really stop till about 7:30pm. 5 days a week and I still work 6 hours on Sunday.
    But everything is pretty much routine for me and it's been that way for more than 8 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yikes. 2020 me was doing better than 2022 me. I need to get back to this!

Same here 🤣
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    Yikes. 2020 me was doing better than 2022 me. I need to get back to this!

On the plus side, it'd be hard to find a better advisor than 2020 quiksylver296. 😉 And in your case, she's customized and personalized - even better.

I'm not trying to make light of your concern. This has been a tough period, and we've all adapted . . . not always in the most ideal ways every single time. We're all allowed to be humans.

I figure that slips - under various definitions - will happen. But so does striving, so does rededication, so does re-thinking to find a new path that works better in a different time. (I'm working on that myself . . . .)

Sending positive wishes to you, in general, and for the successes in your next-up PRs, comps, etc. if that's on the path.