Loosing progress?

Options
mandamac775
mandamac775 Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I've done a lot of research before starting my diet and i can say after 8 months I am down about 25lbs. and down about 7 inches on waist and hips. I don't do full keto but I feel best on a low carb diet, and its been working. I aim for 25P/55F/20C on a daily, any more on the carbs and i feel sluggish and just horrible.

My issue though is this past week I have actually gone up a lb and gained an inch. I am about 2 weeks from that time of the month and haven't changed anything. The only thing I've done is added in a but of arm workouts and yoga (been having a stiff back). I usually just do cardio and light full body strengthening workouts.

I haven't had this issue since I started my lifestyle changes in Oct. So I guess what I am trying to understand is, Is this normal and will the weight loss continue after a bit? It's a but discouraging but I'm staying the course with how i eat as it's been a change for the better!

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Hormones from your cycle could influence your weight. Can you compare your weights over the past week to the same week in your previous cycle? You may find a trend. If you only weigh yourself a few times a month your weight in prior months could have spiked upward temporarily for a few days, but been between weigh ins.

Changing your workouts can also lead to water weight.

Water weight fluctuates constantly. Hang in there! Continue to be accurate and honest about your food logging, and push thru to see that the downward trend continues.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of research before starting my diet and i can say after 8 months I am down about 25lbs. and down about 7 lbs. I don't do full keto but I feel best on a low carb diet, and its been working. I aim for 25P/55F/20C on a daily, any more on the carbs and i feel sluggish and just horrible.

My issue though is this past week I have actually gone up a lb and gained an inch. I am about 2 weeks from that time of the month and haven't changed anything. The only thing I've done is added in a but of arm workouts and yoga (been having a stiff back). I usually just do cardio and light full body strengthening workouts.

I haven't had this issue since I started my lifestyle changes in Oct. So I guess what I am trying to understand is, Is this normal and will the weight loss continue after a bit? It's a but discouraging but I'm staying the course with how i eat as it's been a change for the better!

Which is ovulation time. I gain during ovulation, and right before menstruation.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    Next to ovulation, heat could also play a role. Some people hold more onto water when it's hot. are you drinking enough? Are you moving as much as usual?
  • mandamac775
    mandamac775 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Next to ovulation, heat could also play a role. Some people hold more onto water when it's hot. are you drinking enough? Are you moving as much as usual?

I'm definitely in ovulation, but I am moving more than usual due to it being warmer (alaska, warm weather means lots of time outside) I've been drinking about what i usually do maybe i need to increase how much water I'm drinking.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I'm definitely in ovulation, but I am moving more than usual due to it being warmer (alaska, warm weather means lots of time outside) I've been drinking about what i usually do maybe i need to increase how much water I'm drinking.

It's good to hydrate adequately, but there's no need to drink water to excess in an attempt to reduce normal water retention. If your urine is pale yellow (straw color) or lighter, you should be fine.

Water fluctuations are part of how a healthy body operates. Unless you're in a disease state, your body knows what it's doing.

It's not a good idea to try to game the water retention level. At an extreme, it can even be dangerous. It's not fat, so why let it worry you?

Sure, water retention may temporarily mask fat loss that's still happening in the background, but IMO the right strategy is to trust your calorie-counting process, and watch your body to understand its typical behavior (because understanding leads to calmness about it, and with some experience can even help you predict when fluctuations will appear - useful).

From personal experience, the water weight fluctuations may become more noticeable at a lighter bodyweight. When I was obese, I used to wonder why people fussed about bloating making them look like they'd gained weight, because I never saw that happen to me. Now that I'm around BMI 21, I can see the effect a bit. . . but it still doesn't make me fussed, because it's temporary and meaningless.

Have you read the article linked below? If not, I recommend it:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Best wishes!