Healthy Sushi?

Options
Tomorrow I will be going to eat sushi. I am knew to the hole sushi thing. Does anyone know what type of sushi is good to eat when you are on a diet?

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Well, my fave is the spicy tuna roll, but it does have white rice in it, I have ordered it without the rice though, just as good, and I love miso soup! I could eat sushi everyday, yum.....
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i love sushi too....i dont know about caloric content but normally when i get it, i get a bunch of different kinds and snack on it the whole day...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i LOVE it.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Bad things are rolls with anything fried (although, they taste oh so good!) and they add mayo to a lot of rolls as well.

The Sashimi (just faw fish) is obviously a good, healthy choice. Nigiri is the raw fish over rice. If you have only a few pieces, the little bit of white rice isn't all that bad. Some places offer brown rice as an option. Opt for the low-sodium soy sauce to dip.

And most places will customize rolls for you. So, read the ingredients in the roll and ask them to leave out anyting you don't want or make a substitution... (hold mayo, add avocado, etc.)

YUM! Going for sushi this weekend for my birthday! Can't wait!
  • aquavitae30
    Options
    healthiest thing to get is the sashimi, which is just the fish, no rice. But that can be pretty pricey, and the edamame appetizer is very healthy (steamed soy beans). Other then that most rolls are pretty high calorie from the rice, just avoid the ones with the deep fried items and sauces.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    California rolls are your best bet. It's just crab meat, avocado, some cucumber. Go easy on the soy sauce because of the sodium content. About 12 pieces of california roll would be around 250-300 calories or so. (Search it in the database)

You could also get the rolls without rice (I think it's called sashimi) and that's just the raw fish. I don't know the type of place you're going, but if it's a buffet, they should have other just meat options... the octopus is good as well as squid...I loved the swordfish. My alltime favorite roll however, is the eel roll. YUM!
  • autumn130
    autumn130 Posts: 48
    Options
    The edamame appetizer is very healthy (steamed soy beans) is the BEST!!!!
    I HATE sushi but my family loves it. I found a place here that has a veggie sushi... they don't even use the seaweed to roll it up, they use a soy wrapper. It is TO DIE FOR!!!!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm also new to sushi. My favorite is a shrimp and cucumber roll. I can't have gluten, so anything fried is out, and crab is out. I really like the cucumber and shrimp, and it's very, very low in calories. The rice of course has calories, but it's not a HUGE amount of rice! Enjoy :flowerforyou: