This is unfair...

Options
Everyone who loves food like I do knows how hard it is to pick the right food meal after meal. That means 5 right choices a day(3 meals and 2 snacks). So 35 times of doing the right thing in a week, which is wayyy too tuff. All I have to do it do 2 or 3 bad choices and the scale screams. That is after doing a moderate workout of 3-4 times a week. This is sooo not fair. Looks like I'm set up for failure.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Err. It's not about picking the right food as much as it is about picking the right amount of food.

If you find your 3 meals + 2 snacks to be vexing, you could go with 2 meals + 0 snacks and cut down on the decision-making process dramatically.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If anything is wrong, it's your expectations or thoughts that you have to cut out foods you enjoy. Just fit it in your calories and your are good. But out of curiosity, how many calories are you eating total in a day?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Um. I don't know anything about the right foods, but maybe you should focus on eating food in smaller portions? It's not so much as type as quantity.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not sure how this is unfair. what do you think the rest of us have to do? There really aren't 35 choices to make in a week. Just one. Do you want to take control of your life and eat within your calorie budget or would you rather say "Poor Me!!!" and throw in the towel before giving weight loss a sincere shot?

It's okay if you choose the latter option. Doesn't make you a failure; it just means you aren't ready yet. I was in "Poor Me, This is Hard" mode for years before I finally decided that I was in charge of my own fate.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Not sure how this is unfair. what do you think the rest of us have to do? There really aren't 35 choices to make in a week. Just one. Do you want to take control of your life and eat within your calorie budget or would you rather say "Poor Me!!!" and throw in the towel before giving weight loss a sincere shot?

It's okay if you choose the latter option. Doesn't make you a failure; it just means you aren't ready yet. I was in "Poor Me, This is Hard" mode for years before I finally decided that I was in charge of my own fate.

QFT
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I think you should tell on life for being so mean.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

This.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What is a "right" choice? My guess is that you have a very skewed view of what constitutes proper nutrition. I eat primarily nutrient dense foods and my menus rock...there is absolutely nothing hard about making the "right" choice when you understand getting proper nutrition. Also...have a jelly bean once in awhile..aint gonna kill ya.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I suspect most people love food. I know I do.

Now, eating healthily and losing weight are two separate things. So go ahead and eat the food you love but don't eat so much of it. Or punish yourself by eating celery all day. Your choice. Both will result in weight loss. One sucks a lot. :bigsmile:
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Listen to this man.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be unsupportive but it sounds like you're not ready to start losing weight. You're unnecessarily apprehensive about what is actually a pleasant experience that makes you feel good.

Until you are ready to change your outlook, you're probably just going to stay at your current body fat % for now.

I'm sorry.

But when you are ready,
    We will be here,
    And we will support you
    On your fitness gurney.
    925448672 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One thing that's worked for me is logging my options BEFORE I eat them. It really helps to cut out some of those empty calories. When you realize that snack you are thinking about eating is going to undo your entire 30 min/ 1hour exercise, your less likely to want to eat it. Lol. Good luck. Also, only step on the scale once a day, around the same time everyday. You'll get a more consistent reading that way :-)
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think your attitude is setting you up for failure. There is no one right choice for any meal or workout and failing to make that choice is not going to ruin you. Losing weight is really simple for most people: eat fewer calories than you burn. There are many ways you can make that equation go in the right direction. Simple doesn't mean it's always easy, you're going to have to work at it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    wow.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Pretty much this.

OP, you can have results or excuses. You choose. Right now, doesn't sound like you really wanna do much other than complain.
  • RoseKatet
    RoseKatet Posts: 149 Member
    Options

This^^^ btw I think I heart you lol
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    This is sooo not fair.

- Life isn't fair
    - it's the same problem for the rest of us, so I don't see how it's not fair
    Looks like I'm set up for failure.

With that attitude, I'm sorry to say, yes - you are.

Now that I've been horribly mean, and unsupportive (according to the forums here), here are my tips:

- eat what you like. Just eat less of it.
    - log your foods for the day in advance - it takes a lot of the guess work out of things.
    - this is not an all-or-nothing process. All the way along, I have eaten the foods I like (and I loooooooove food). I just eat a little less of the high-calorie items. Don't look at this like it's a punishment - it really doesn't have to be.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Very true,
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    When you are ready to lose weight - you will. It will be your priority. You will change your lifestyle. It's not easy for any of us - we just get up and "do it " every day.

You just have to decide to do it.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Be born in a 3rd world country with disease and famine.