Triglyceride Reduction?

Options
All of my bloodwork is great. EXCEPT for triglycerides, ugh. They have been high for a couple of years but since I've recently drastically reduced my carbs (to normal levels; carbs used to be staples), I'm hoping they will go down. My nutritionist says it generally takes about 3 months to see a reduction. I am also doing C25K and walking a lot more, taking stairs, etc. since changing my diet.

Has anyone else seen reductions with a change in diet & exercise? How long did it take you and how much of a decrease?

Note: Maternal side of my family has a LEGEN...wait for it...DARY history of diabetes and heart disease, which is why my doctor keeps bugging me, rightfully so! If it doesn't show a reduction, he is suggesting a Rx- and it may also mean that it is genetic in my case.

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There is more and more evidence from research that triglyceride levels can rise due to excess fructose consumption. Since your diary isn't open, I don't know if that is contributing to your situation. My husband's doctor has had him cut out fruit juice and limit his fruit consumption to help lower his triglycerides. Fructose also hides in a lot of processed foods. For example, high fructose corn syrup is the second ingredient in Lean Cuisine Glazed Chicken.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    No, I rarely drank/drink juices, and normal (nutritionist-approved, weighed/measured fruits; usually berries or an apple/orange). Though I'm sure I did some damage on processed Little Debbies in the last few years!
  • gibbonlo
    Options
    Although I don't have the exact numbers yet, I just had blood work done after a week-long juice fast and then switching my diet to juice, mostly vegetarian and some lean proteins. The doctor's office called and told me to keep up the good work because my numbers were moving in the right direction. While I wasn't in the high range before, I was definitely borderline for the past 4 years. This is the only time I've dieted so I was pretty surprised by the results. I'll post the actual difference in numbers once I have them back from the lab.

The biggest advantage I have from the juice fast is that it really killed all of my cravings for carbs and fat-laden foods. My husband and I followed the 3 day Reboot with Joe program (did it for a week). The first day was tough because we both drank coffee but the other days were pretty easy. I'll have an occasional cup of coffee now but I don't want to develop a dependency again so I'm not having it every day. We never really felt deprived of food either. Good luck if you do try it!

Best of luck whichever approach you choose.

:smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Mine were 463 last September/October. They're around 105 now. Exercise is a big factor...probably one of the most important factors in my estimation. I also get 4-6 servings of veg and a couple servings of fruit and berries per day. I eat a very nutritious diet of lean proteins (I eat salmon or tuna at least twice per week and also take a fish oil supplement...I also eat a lot of other white fish and a lot of chicken), healthy fats, and lots of roughage. I keep added sugars to a minimum and try to eat as much whole foods as possible. I do eat processed foods, but not as much as I used to and I try to make them "limited processing" without a whole lot of sugar and other additives.
  • CTcutie
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My triglycerides have always been a little high, even when my cholesterol was at an acceptable level. I think exercise and losing weight are the best things you can do to lower it. I've also read that overconsumption of alcohol can raise triglycerides. In the past year I have been exercising regularly (it had been very infrequent), reduced my body weight by 15%, eating more balanced healthy meals, and cut down on booze. I'm going in for bloodwork tomorrow and really hoping that I see improvement in my numbers.
  • CTcutie
    Options
    Kimmy- GL w/bloodwork!
    Wish I could blame it on the alcohol, but only have maybe 1-2 drinks a month... more around holidays.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Three months of calorie restriction and exercise brought my trig level to normal.