Reddit r/1200isplenty "diet soda cake" hack

ljo789
ljo789 Posts: 3 Member
Hello,
I follow the reddit forum r/1200isplenty, basically fellow MFP users counting calories, supporting each other and exchanging recipes.
One recent fads of this forum is the so-called "diet soda cake" recipe : you mix one box of any brand of cake mix with a carbonated diet soda of any brand, instead of eggs and butter usually recommended. Because it's carbonated, the fluid will cause the dough to rise and expand when heated. You then put it in the oven and voilà, a delicious cake with half the calories of the normal version.
Did anyone use this hack to make a cake ? Was the result worth it ?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I have, used club soda. Fluffy as hell, not as rich tasting, but good imho
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    I've experimented with diet coke instead of egg before (one of my colleagues doesn't eat eggs, and I'm a kind baker). It's... interesting. You do definitely get a light fluffiness to the texture, but you don't get a nice rounded rise.

I've had more success with carbonated water (flavourless, fizzy water) in recipes where I specifically won't want a rise, so in making jaffa cakes rather than sponge cake.

The best way of using the fizzy stuff in baking is diet lemonade (diet only because full fat is never worth it) in lemonade scones. Looks an absolute mess when combining the ingredients, but they're so light and fluffy, and you can eat them happily without butter or jam. Only thing is, you use double cream and that doesn't strike me as diet friendly. I would have to work it out.

As you can probably tell, my baking experiments are more to do with making something people with allergies/religious requirements can eat, as opposed to making bakes lower calorie...