Do you think it's important to eat "certain" foods pre/post workout?

Options
Just wondered what people thought about this? I've heard mixed feelings. Some people say it doesn't matter what you eat when as long as you're cutting your calories and macros in. Others have said you should eat certain foods - high protein pre workout, carbs post workout.
What do you think?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Depends.

My definition of workout is "training". Specifically, strength training which is done within a hour or two of waking and lasts 2-3 hours.

Since I'm literally breaking a fast. I have whey, banana or steel oats, and coffee. So higher quality protein for MPS, some kind of easily digestible carb for energy, and coffee because I might nap between sets otherwise. So something that doesn't take away from my energy to train yet help with my needs.

Post workout I just eat,. Guessing anywhere from 1200-1800 calories that has reasonably balance of protien, carb, and fat.

Somebody working out defines running might be better off with some fluids, gummy bears and nothing else.

Eat reasonably balanced meals when your hungry that doesn't affect your "workout" isn't a bad idea for most goals.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say it's the most important to get your nutrition, training and recovery (including sleep) in check first, then you can try out different things in terms of meal timing. I am always eating (never fasting) so it is not as important for me but I do like to make sure I have some quick energy (sugar/candy) in my system before and during a workout, I find my sessions are way more productive (could be a placebo effect but it works for me).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    See where meal timing falls? Get the stuff below that locked in first. Then, if you really want to major in the minors, go for it.

95b02afzxzmd.jpg
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would say it's the most important to get your nutrition, training and recovery (including sleep) in check first, then you can try out different things in terms of meal timing. I am always eating (never fasting) so it is not as important for me but I do like to make sure I have some quick energy (sugar/candy) in my system before and during a workout, I find my sessions are way more productive (could be a placebo effect but it works for me).

And to give the opposite approach... I bike ride every morning and if I have anything in my stomach besides water/coffee I will puke sometime during the ride (guaranteed). After the ride I like to have a small snack like a banana or something to replenish my sugars and prevent a post-ride 'crash', but I don't eat a real meal until several hours after the ride.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

And to give the opposite approach... I bike ride every morning and if I have anything in my stomach besides water/coffee I will puke sometime during the ride (guaranteed). After the ride I like to have a small snack like a banana or something to replenish my sugars and prevent a post-ride 'crash', but I don't eat a real meal until several hours after the ride.

Same. I hit the gym around 4:30 each morning. Lift heavy for about 1.5 hours. Then I don't have anything but black coffee until 9:30 or 10:00.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    For most "ordinary people" doing "ordinary workouts" then it's of trivial importance.
    There's far bigger items to maximise first, too many people eat like champs but train like chumps IMHO.....
    If you are doing exceptional workouts and/or have elite level goals then yes every small advantage becomes significant enough to bother with.

For most of my exercise (as an ordinary person) it just fits in my eating schedule and overall diet, might be fed, might be fasted - makes little difference to me.
    Today it was important as my 3hr / 1,500cal "workout" did need fuelling to keep my energy and hydration levels up but that was no more special than a big bowl of breakfast cereal and some sports hydration mix.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    In the case of cardio, if scheduling requires I have to eat right beforehand rather than 40+ minutes before, then I'll have something easy to digest (gummies, fruit snacks, gels,...)(basically pure sugar/starch) to avoid an upset stomach or extra bathroom break. If it's hot and it's a long workout, then also an electrolyte capsule or 2.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For strength training, I don't do as well if hungry, so I do eat beforehand. For the sake of time, it's usually half a Clif bar eaten while walking down to my car/in my car while driving to the gym.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Same. I hit the gym around 4:30 each morning. Lift heavy for about 1.5 hours. Then I don't have anything but black coffee until 9:30 or 10:00.

Wow. I’d eat my own arm 😳 I’m definitely a scoff-as-much-as-possible person when I wake up! It’s why I can’t train first thing - I need to eat a full brekkie!
  • GeneralSTpower
    GeneralSTpower Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to get in some carbs before going into the gym, keeps me going for the 1.5hours, and try to get in a good amount of protein post workout.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing is only critical for the top 1%. For the rest of us, it doesn't matter much as the chart above indicates. I train, both weights and cardio, fasted as I do IF. Just black coffee and get it done. This is very individual and preference and workout performance should drive your decisions.

If you are a competitive body builder or athlete, the answer would be different.
  • lucidchroma
    lucidchroma Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Depends.

My definition of workout is "training". Specifically, strength training which is done within a hour or two of waking and lasts 2-3 hours.

Since I'm literally breaking a fast. I have whey, banana or steel oats, and coffee. So higher quality protein for MPS, some kind of easily digestible carb for energy, and coffee because I might nap between sets otherwise. So something that doesn't take away from my energy to train yet help with my needs.

Post workout I just eat,. Guessing anywhere from 1200-1800 calories that has reasonably balance of protien, carb, and fat.

Somebody working out defines running might be better off with some fluids, gummy bears and nothing else.

Eat reasonably balanced meals when your hungry that doesn't affect your "workout" isn't a bad idea for most goals.

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. The other day I had my porridge and was almost about to throw up while practicing skill practices. Plenty of handstand, pike to handstand, l-sit to tuck planche kind of stuffs. Later today I had a slow eccentric day and I felt very hungry and fatigued.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I have seen several threads with posters asking about feeling faint after a workout until they eat something. If this is you, get some carbs to keep your blood sugar up. If you suddenly feel like a puppet with the strings cut, get some carbs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the workout and the time of day. I usually workout first thing in the morning fasted. I only take water. I usually do a mix of strength and cardio for about an hour. If going longer, I might take a break mid-way and make a protein iced coffee. After, I usually eat fruit and yogurt or nuts, sometimes a cookie or 1/2 protein bar😁
    If I'm working out in the afternoon, I need a snack first or risk a blood sugar/blood pressure crash.
    Do what works for you. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule that works for everyone.