Running and running a deficit.

Options
I've been running a 5k, 3 or 4 times a week (in the evenings), while also eating around 1300 calories most days. However, I'm not seeing much of a weight loss. I'm 13st 10lbs and aiming for a healthy weight of 12st. Does anyone have any ideas about where I'm going wrong?

Replies

• BigMo2017
    BigMo2017 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    MFP set me a limit of 1500 calories per day and obviously you need to eat more than 1200 to complete your diary. I am logging everything exactly for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is a meal cooked for 2 adults and 2 small children and I log half of the total ingredients, so I'm probably slightly overestimating the calories for my dinner.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Is the running new? How long have you been logging calories and what was your start weight? And you said 'most days' so what are other days like for consumption?
  • BigMo2017
    Options
    Is the running new? How long have you been logging calories and what was your start weight? And you said 'most days' so what are other days like for consumption?

This time around I've been running for about 5 weeks now. I have been scrupulous about logging calories and that's the reason why there are a few days when I'm slightly over the 1500 calorie goal that MFP sets. Those rare occasions are the days when we eat out as a family or enjoy a glass of wine in the evening.

I'm curious about whether the timing of my exercise relative to my eating times might be, in some way, hindering my weight loss. I always run in the evening after my kids have gone to bed. Is there anything I should be considering regarding the timing of eating and exercising?
  • BigMo2017
    Options
    JimDew wrote: »
    1300 is kinda low, in my utterly unprofessional opinion.

I started at 225lbs, and started walking, then transitioned to running as the weight came off. I stayed around 1800 calories and I PERSONALLY CHOSE NOT TO EAT BACK MY CALORIES. MY CHOICE. (I capitalized that for the fitness nazis that say I shouldn’t advise anyone to NOT eat back the calories).

I won’t give advice, but what worked for me was 5 miles of walking/running 5-6 days per week, eating 1800 calories, and not eating any more based on my exercise.

You find what works for YOU.

Good luck!

1300 isn't a target for me it's just the number I usually end up at after eating 3 meals. I try not to eat back my calories, if the goal is to lose weight, what's the point. I usually run in the evening after my kids have gone to bed but I'm wondering if the time I'm exercising is reducing its effectiveness.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    How are you not feeling ravenous all the time? I weigh a less than you (and I’m a short female who I suspect is significantly older based on you having little kids) and 1300 is tough for me to stay under. I probably do similar amounts of exercise (well I did until I pulled a muscle - the last few days i’ve barely hobbled off the couch).

If you really are logging accurately then I’m surprised you’re not losing if you’ve given it at least a few weeks.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    BigMo2017 wrote: »
    JimDew wrote: »
    1300 is kinda low, in my utterly unprofessional opinion.

I started at 225lbs, and started walking, then transitioned to running as the weight came off. I stayed around 1800 calories and I PERSONALLY CHOSE NOT TO EAT BACK MY CALORIES. MY CHOICE. (I capitalized that for the fitness nazis that say I shouldn’t advise anyone to NOT eat back the calories).

I won’t give advice, but what worked for me was 5 miles of walking/running 5-6 days per week, eating 1800 calories, and not eating any more based on my exercise.

You find what works for YOU.

Good luck!

1300 isn't a target for me it's just the number I usually end up at after eating 3 meals. I try not to eat back my calories, if the goal is to lose weight, what's the point. I usually run in the evening after my kids have gone to bed but I'm wondering if the time I'm exercising is reducing its effectiveness.

Meal and exercise timing is not going to impact the effectiveness of your exericse.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I’m a 5’4” female at 1300 and a runner. I get hungry on that. How are you not eating your own hand at that as a man? Up your calories!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food? Or logging portions by eyeballing/using units like “1 chicken thigh” or using measuring cups?

Also can you define “not seeing much” for weight loss? Does that mean “only” 10 pounds this month or....?
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    As a 5'6" male starting at 185 lbs, running daily, eating 1800 calories - it took me about 6 months to shed 40 pounds. Let me tell you, I was HUNGRY at 1800 calories, with the running I was at a 300-400 calorie deficit most days.

I am keying into a couple of things:
    • Eating out as a family
    • Glass of wine
    • Dinner is a meal cooked for 2 adults and 2 small children and I log half of the total ingredients

Even when calories are posted at a restaurant, they are generally understated.
    A glass of wine is a measurement but can definitely be subjective. I have wine glasses that I can fill twice and empty a bottle of wine. A bottle of wine is 5-5oz glasses, or on average 750 calories per bottle - or sweet fortified wine can go up to 1440 calories in a bottle.
    One of the hardest things about counting calories is counting your calories accurately while at the same time cooking for family. Make sure you are also measuring condiments... hell 2Tbsp of salad dressing can easily be 90+ calories, and ill tell you, unless you like your greens (im glad I do) its going to take at least 4 Tbsp to get a large bowl of salad to taste like the dressing. Do you finish your children's plates when they don't finish their meals? Are you snacking a little bit and not logging it?

You should be at a steady weight loss, but I would not be eating less than 1500 a day, I would be very HANGRY 1300 - I don't think I would have lasted a month at 1300.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just FYI - 1500 is the minimum goal for safety for average sedentary male.

You sedentary in all your activity?

You want the bare minimum for safety?

That 1500 would only be on days you are truly sedentary. Sounds like you got 2 kids perhaps - so perhaps family/household duties you are engaged in evenings and weekends outside of exercise?

Besides some potential food logging issues - I'm betting your body has slowed you down in several ways you may not even notice.
    Body is great at adapting when presented with a bad situation - not all great effects though.

Like increased cortisol from stressed out body - can increase slowly up to 20 lbs.
    How many weeks could that mask fat loss on the scale?

You measuring body parts too for fat lost to be seen?

Obviously body isn't thrilled about the state it's in if that is the case, even if fat is being lost. Usually backfires.