What to eat before and after morning strength training?

Options
Today I am going to start doing my strength training in the morning. I woke up at 445 and at a lara bar. Did my strength training and didn’t really eat after until I was starving at 10. And then I went crazy.

Just curious what do you guys eat before and after a strength training session first thing in the morning?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    When I worked out in the AM, I had a smoothie during.

To avoid "going crazy," try having something ready to go for as soon as you are hungry afterwards. Since Lara bars are high in carbs and low in protein, I'd recommend something with a good amount of protein for afterwards.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I always have one chickpea pancake with berries after strength
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I would be ravenous all day if I only ate a larabar. I usually stick with low carb before 10:30a unless I have accrued ~600 calories worth of exercise and then I can only get away with it IF I eat enough protein. Strength days I never get that high that early.
  • missdana94110
    missdana94110 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Working out early is new to me and am trying to get a routine down cuz I don’t want to eat crazy all day.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I eat 70ish grams of oats with 3% milk and a glass of juice. I don't like a heavy protein meal in the morning.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake and a small portion of fruit. That's about all I can handle without it affecting my workout negatively. After, I wait until I'm hungry and eat breakfast, usually about 1-2 hours later.