Physical symptoms of less (sugar/food)

Third time losing weight (three babies) and finding the transition much more difficult and need advice.

I went from probably a 1,800-2,000 calorie diet with plenty of fattening snacks and sugary treats. Mornings were had with half and half in espresso and the nights would usually end with ice cream doused in syrup. Cookies were often a midday treat.

I dont have, and have been tested for, diabetes. I don’t have any medical issues ATM.

I’m currently 40lbs overweight.

Now I’m noticing I only lose weight if I eat around 1,400 a day and finding mornings (after I’ve been awake for a few hours) I feel very off. A little lightheaded, a little weak. Breakfast now is usually ân English muffin and a cuppa tea. I’ll have an apple when I feel lightheaded but it only seems to help for a little while.

Do I just tough this out or is there a way to help combat this?

Replies

• realnurse26
    realnurse26 Posts: 560 Member
    I’m close to your situation. (4 kids, trying to keep my calories under 1,500, got at least 40 to lose). I’ve found that I do much better during the day if I have a decent breakfast with some protein. Yesterday, I had a light English muffin, egg whites, and turkey bacon. (I made a breakfast sandwich) It sounds like you may not be eating enough protein in the mornings and your sugar is dropping. If you eat a lot of carbs but don’t eat protein with it, your body will “overdo” on the insulin production and you’ll crash. And this can be true for people with no sugar issues at all. Don’t try to tough it out Momma, you’ve got too much on you to suffer through your day! Adjust your meals around.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    I’m close to your situation. (4 kids, trying to keep my calories under 1,500, got at least 40 to lose). I’ve found that I do much better during the day if I have a decent breakfast with some protein. Yesterday, I had a light English muffin, egg whites, and turkey bacon. (I made a breakfast sandwich) It sounds like you may not be eating enough protein in the mornings and your sugar is dropping. If you eat a lot of carbs but don’t eat protein with it, your body will “overdo” on the insulin production and you’ll crash. And this can be true for people with no sugar issues at all. Don’t try to tough it out Momma, you’ve got too much on you to suffer through your day! Adjust your meals around.

It is so hard in the mornings with the littles! I hate feeling this because I feel a little helpless. I’ll definitely take your guys’ suggestion to add mike protein to my mornings. I have upped protein significantly for lunch and Dinner but forgot breakfast 🙃
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Add some protein into your breakfast would be my suggestion. Protein helps keep me full longer than carbs. This is a personal thing and YMMV. You'll probably need to do some experimenting to find what works for you. For some it's fats, for some it's fiber, for some it's a combo of all three.

I think you might be right. I’ll try adding more protein in the AM. Thanks!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    If the protein doesn't help, consider upping your calories, especially if you are not very very short and sedentary.

Re "I only lose weight if I eat around 1,400 a day" - how much time are you giving yourself? If only a week or two, you may have hormonal or other water weight issues going on that are masking fat loss. For example, I gain a few pounds both at ovulation and premenstrually. Because of this, I compare my weight to last month rather than last week.

cs17oe75dcn0.jpg