No housework in exercises?

Options
2»

Replies

• SFFirebird
    SFFirebird Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    what about spring cleaning? cleaning out attics? that is so NOT an everyday activity..........
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm in the be realistic camp. I log extra things like mowing the grass and if I do extra hard cleaning then I would log it but I also take it with a grain of salt. There is no way cooking for 2 hours burned 700 calories. I Think as long as you take a look at it and it seem realistic and you like exercise don' teat it all back then it's good.

However what works for me and my situation may be completely different than everyone else. We may all be in the same race but we are all driving different boats.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I log the grocery store as walking, but I have significant limitations on my weightbearing time, and usually handle housework in five minute bursts of standing, with twenty minutes off my feet in between. When I started with MFP, the weekly trip to three grocery stores meant that I had spent so much off my standing budget that my partner had to cook dinner, because I didn't have the ability to stand that long after I'd done the groceries. Things are somewhat better now, but I don't spend two hours on my feet moving around every day yet, and so when I do, I log it because it's out of the ordinary. I look forward to a time when it is not, but we're not there yet.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    You can make adjustments if you're consistent with your logging.
    You can be more consistent by being more accurate.
    Being accurate means that you should not log things twice.
    Being accurate ALSO means that you should NOT ignore things because they fail to measure up.

MFP sedentary includes basic activities of daily living to the tune of up to about 30-50 minutes of not sitting activity in a day / up to about 3500 steps per day (for most people).

Assuming food intake is accurately accounted for, weight change goals are appropriate, and weight trend changes are within expected parameters, I have zero problems recording the scratching of my kitten as an activity that burned calories!

If the above do not hold true over time periods of 4-6 weeks, then it is time to troubleshoot and re-evaluate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    SFFirebird wrote: »
    what about spring cleaning? cleaning out attics? that is so NOT an everyday activity..........

Sure, I log all cleaning that is not the quick stuff I do regularly.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hiding from all that dang vacuuming going on.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    Hiding from all that dang vacuuming going on.

Hey! You're hiding from yourself!!!!! :lol:
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i count cleaning - not standing still washing dishes, but vigorously mopping or scrubbing the tub and sinks? sure. i use one of these in exercise

Cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort
    Cleaning, light, moderate effort