Green tea

Options
Green tea is known to be effective for weight loss, but from your own experience, is it effective?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If you like it drink it, but don't rely on it for weight loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,067 Member
    Options
    I drink cold matcha with citrus every day.

As a weight loss aid . . . well, it tastes nice. And has some useful antioxidants (which don't much affect weight loss). And has a tiny amount of caffeine, which will help burn maybe a handful of extra calories per decade, but being caffeine-naive is a factor in that (and obviously, one isn't naive to a thing one consumes regularly).

There may be minor, minor affects in other areas, sometimes very dose-dependent, but there's no major magic mojo in green tea.

Here's a summary from a generally well-regarded neutral evidence-based source:

https://examine.com/supplements/green-tea-catechins/
  • MaMMy742
    MaMMy742 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I think it detox? But I wouldn't say it vanishes them calories you've eaten away :D
    But if you're a tea person you should go for it, I tend to drink mine after dinner
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you mean replacing sodas with green tea while also reducing food intake, then yes. If you mean is it a magic bullet that gives you permission to eat like a pig and still lose weight, then no. I went through this with a friend believing I was losing weight solely because I drink a lot of coffee.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I like green tea and anecdotally find it helps to keep hunger in check - it might just be coincidence though. Doesn't beat calorie counting though
  • Brandonswife19
    Brandonswife19 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I used green tea and oolong tea in the past and it did help me achieve my goal. Not only that but my skin looked great! And before someone posts a crappy comment behind me, yes I was in a calorie deficit and I worked out. I only tried these teas after I hit a plateau.
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'll just say it did help me lose weight...haha probably because i replace my 2 coke a day with green tea. so 140x2 cal = 280.. SO YA... :D . But for real I just used to drinking tea for the caffeine. I can say for me though it did curve my appetite so i guess that help too :#
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Anything that helps replace drinks like sodas or juice is good. I drink water with added fruit flavors. Tried green tea but the caffeine keeps me up since I don't drink anything with caffeine normally. I've read that it is supposed to help weight loss...not sure how though!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Anything that helps replace drinks like sodas or juice is good. I drink water with added fruit flavors. Tried green tea but the caffeine keeps me up since I don't drink anything with caffeine normally. I've read that it is supposed to help weight loss...not sure how though!

It only helps with weight loss if you drink it instead of drinks that have calories.
    If you like the taste, you can get decaffeinated green tea, or herbal teas that are caffeine-free.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    The ONLY thing that is proven to result in weight loss is eating at a calorie deficit. I truly wish there was some magical solution to losing weight (I have about 50 lbs to lose) but sadly, that is NOT reality.

That said, there are things to help you feel more full so you snack less such as an increase in fiber. And if you replace Snapple or coke with green tea that helps achieve the calorie deficit. But, nowhere is it “proven” that any drink or magic pill or special food will make you lose weight.
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea. It hasn’t helped me lose weight, however, I have slow digestion, and I find that it does help move things along quicker and reduces bloat which makes my stomach look not as poofy. Not flat as a board, but not distended either.
    I notice when I stop drinking it because I’m back to being poofy with sluggish digestion.