Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Healthy food

2»

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,717 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am really confused because my last doctor recommended a low carb high “lean protein” diet. This one is suggested a high carb low protein diet.

I assume you need to lose weight, yes? If so, simply losing weight helps with pre-diabetes more so than any particular diet.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/people_with_pre_diabetes_who_drop_substantial_weight_may_ward_off_type_2_diabetes

Was just going to say that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2020
    Why would corn be the worst food to eat? It's a whole grain and has nutrients. Does your husband have an actual reason for that claim?

(This is from someone who largely eats corn (other than popcorn) only when in season, when I get tons from the local farm I buy produce from, but enjoys it a lot when I have it.)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,216 Member
    Yes that comment about corn struck me as odd too - but I guess your husband is not a dietician either.

I eat plenty of corn, usually tinned - not sure if that counts as 'highly processed' - but seems a rather random thing to call ' the worst food'
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Why would corn be the worst food to eat? It's a whole grain and has nutrients. Does your husband have an actual reason for that claim?

(This is from someone who largely eats corn (other than popcorn) only when in season, when I get tons from the local farm I buy produce from, but enjoys it a lot when I have it.)

That may have been influenced by something like Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma"...I eat a lot of seasonal corn, and keep corn in the freezer off-season, but don't eat a lot of foods that contain fractionated corn.

I know you're familiar with that book, but for others: https://michaelpollan.com/reviews/children-of-the-corn/
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,838 Member
    The source I trust for up-to-date, science-based information is Harvard University School of Public Health's "Nutrition Source." https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Your nutritionist's suggestion that pasta is healthier than meat seems based on more old-fashioned ideas about nutrition but don't take my word for it. Check out Harvard's advice. They update it as new information becomes known.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Yes that comment about corn struck me as odd too - but I guess your husband is not a dietician either.

I eat plenty of corn, usually tinned - not sure if that counts as 'highly processed' - but seems a rather random thing to call ' the worst food'

I think rather than corn being bad for you it’s the toppings (ie: butter & salt) that can be. There’s nothing better than fresh corn on the cob. The season for it is only a few weeks away, and I can’t wait. I agree it’s hard to justify saying it’s “the worst food”. It’s food and there’s nothing wrong with eating it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,216 Member
    Yes I guess if you slather corn on the cob with too many additives it might not be the healthiest food out.

I dont eat corn on the cob I just eat tinned corn as part of a salad plate or sometimes in things like curries- mixed diced corn, peas, carrots is a common frozen veg bag here.
    and sometimes tinned creamed corn as an ingredient in home made soups.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I only eat fresh corn in season, but I don't add anything to it. It doesn't need it.