Foam roller

So many body weight exercises require a foam roller. How do they work and are they all created equally?

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    I don’t know about body weight exercises using foam rollers, but I use one to pressure point release before lifting. I got mine from Aldi (UK), very cheap, and just made sure it wasn’t too spongy as I wanted a harder roll. The more expensive ones may last longer in gym settings but I use mine most days and I’ve had it for about 3 years. Wouldn’t have thought you need to pay a lot for one!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    It's great for mobility and easing soreness and stiffness. I haven't heard of any strength exercises using foam rollers.

Foam rollers work by you putting your weight on top of it from different angles and rolling around a spot, so the roll will massage that spot. Hardness of the roller makes a big difference here. Thickness and length of the roller also make them different, as you need a longer roller for some spots, a thinner for some and a thicker for some. Some also have a pattern or some bumps in them to help get into those spots, but I personally prefer mine without.

My roller is pretty thick, long (long enough that I can lay on top of it with my spine on it, one end around my butt and other end under my skull) and smooth. I paid maybe 15€ (Finland) and bought it in 2012 or 2013, still in regular use and no problems.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Sounds good! Thank you!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I use one for warming up my legs, but to get to actual tight spots I need a small roll, or more likely a ball or my hands.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    As mentioned it's great for mobility work and releasing sore spots. Tillers are made of different materials depending on the brand/price point but you can get cheap ones thag last a while