Treadmill running seems easier?

I run at least five k 3-4 times a week on the treadmill easily. I attempt to run on flat roads and start struggling after 1.5-2k in. Why is the treadmill easier??

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    The treadmill mat is moving under your feet at a preset pace, running outside people tend to try and run a bit faster. You're not experiencing changes in elevation or wind on a treadmill and your running mechanics are different on the the road.

When making the transition from treadmill to outdoors your experience is very common.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    How do I combat this as the gyms will likely close again soon
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    The standard advice is to put the treadmill on at least a slight incline to mimic a road, so 1 or 2%.

Next time you run outside try to consciously slow down a little, you can always speed up towards the end if you still have it in you. It just is harder to run outside because of the variables.

I combat it by just always running outside, much more interesting.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    edited July 2020
    The treadmill is also easier on you physically. The surface is a whole lot more forgiving than concrete on knees and ankles! Have you tried trail running?
  • Hanibanani2020
    I used to trail run until a bad accident that scared me a bit so now I just hike on trails. I do find I am very sore after road running though compared to treadmill
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I used to trail run until a bad accident that scared me a bit so now I just hike on trails. I do find I am very sore after road running though compared to treadmill
    That's cause treadmills absorb the impact of running. The road transfers force through your muscles and that's why you're sorer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hanibanani2020
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    That's cause treadmills absorb the impact of running. The road transfers force through your muscles and that's why you're sorer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Would that indicate that it’s doing more damage/could cause more injury potentially?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    There are pluses and minuses with both. Yes, the impact is greater on the road, but doing the same repetitive steps on the TM can cause issues as well.

What I found when I made the transition from TM to road running, was that the first couple of weeks felt much more difficult, but after that, road running was easier for me. Yes, I now had real hills to deal with, but I also had fresh air, views, and I was in control of my pace, not the belt. I run faster outside because I don't have to worry about getting knocked off my feet by the moving belt.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I feel like you're not having to work as hard to move your weigh on the treadmill as on road, you don't really have to push your whole self along the same. Also have a mind to your hip flexors if you do a lot of treadmill work, as the effort is also different than road - it's almost reversed in terms of where the strain is in my mind in that lifting your leg to plant your foot is easier than the push off thanks to the assistance from the moving belt, whereas on road the opposite is true. I find that this difference shows itself in sore hip flexors sometimes.