Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Range. Five pounds.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Loosey-goosey about weight range here, too, and it takes a back seat to how clothes are fitting. When I accomplished my weight loss initially, I figured 150-155 was do-able (66 inches tall), and it was for about a year. For the last 4 years I've been between 157 and 167. I made peace with not getting into those size 6 shorts after a few summers of not getting into them, but I am pretty committed to maintaining in the 10s and 12s I have. My tracking is sloppy but when the shorts get tight then it's back to tracking and slight deficit until they fit comfortably again. I cycled less when I was able to get to the gym but corona, so it is what it is. I'm wrapping my head around turning 70 at my next birthday and while in my mind I am in my 30s and still care about how I look, realistically at this point it's not as much looks as it is health.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2'', had a goal ranging from 100-105 lbs. I used to live in Miami. Beach and bar workouts were my go to. It is easier to pull yourself up a bar when you are less heavier. Now I live in Pokhara, Nepal. Its hilly, I drink tons, and at present trying to lose the foreigner gains of 5 lbs. by working in a farm on weekend. I am 109-110 now. Also, pull ups are harder now.

I’d love to do a pull up! It’s too hard for me right now with the excess weight and small muscles. Lol. Maybe I’ll adjust my goal lower. I definitely want a lean look.
  • mnbell2013
    mnbell2013 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I’m almost 26 and 5’5”. My goal range is between 140 and 150lbs. I was very content at 145 when I reached that weight around age 19 and would be thrilled to return there to stay.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I’ll allow 3 lbs without panicking but when I get up to 5 lbs I know I have to go back to logging my food and upping my activity. I got up to 6 lbs over my maintenance weight during the lockdown (4 from last year and 2 during quarantine) so I dusted off the old food scale and started doing more walking in addition to my regular exercise schedule. I don’t know why but I thought it would be harder to lose the weight this time but it wasn’t. I was hangry for the first 3 days of counting calories but after that it was easy and I lost at a rate of 0.5 lbs per week every week until I returned to my maintenance weight. Now I’m back to not really counting, just watching my portions and moving more, I’ll weigh myself once a week to keep track. It’s very freeing to know that I have gained the knowledge and have the power to lose weight whenever I need to, the math of calorie counting works! :)
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I’ll allow 3 lbs without panicking but when I get up to 5 lbs I know I have to go back to logging my food and upping my activity. I got up to 6 lbs over my maintenance weight during the lockdown (4 from last year and 2 during quarantine) so I dusted off the old food scale and started doing more walking in addition to my regular exercise schedule. I don’t know why but I thought it would be harder to lose the weight this time but it wasn’t. I was hangry for the first 3 days of counting calories but after that it was easy and I lost at a rate of 0.5 lbs per week every week until I returned to my maintenance weight. Now I’m back to not really counting, just watching my portions and moving more, I’ll weigh myself once a week to keep track. It’s very freeing to know that I have gained the knowledge and have the power to lose weight whenever I need to, the math of calorie counting works! :)

It’s so huge to know that calorie counting always works! I’ve lost almost 40lbs from my highest weight so far, and have taken breaks along the way. It’s nice to know even if I “mess” up, I can get right back on it the following day or week. The first couple days are always the hardest, but yesterday for example, I wasn’t hungry at all (quiet full all day), and still stuck to my 1380 calories. My biggest thing is not stuffing myself until I’m uncomfortable and not eating when I’m not hungry (no eating when bored!).

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Alisonzina wrote: »
    So for woman the calculation is 100lbs at 5 feet even then add 5lbs for every inch and the range is give or take 10% either way. So if you are 5’1” your healthy weight would be 105 give or take 10% so 94.5-115.5 (I’m a nutritionist this is the clinical way it’s calculated) anywhere in this range would be considered healthy it depends on your body comp muscle mass etc where you feel most comfortable. 🙂

That's really helpful if a little depressing. I am 5'11" and was aiming for 72kg-75kg but this suggests that like my husband's doctor keeps telling my husband (who is also 5'11") I should be aiming for 70kg, which is 155lb. 75kg would be towards to the top of the 10% added.

I was at and below goal in 2015, but I then allowed my weight to creep back up over the past five years. Losing again now, but I this time I know that I need to have an upper weight that triggers going back into loggiing and counting. That weight should probably be 75kg.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    At 5' 7" (female) my goal range is 128-132ish. 126-130 is what I weighed in my 20's and into my early 30's before the dreaded desk job. Currently back around 150 (was in the 142 range pre-covid, but I kinda drowned my pandemic sorrows in pizza LOL).

Once I start getting to the 135 range I'll evaluate as I go based on muscle (have done a lot more focused weight lifting the past few years than in my younger years - although I was always strong enough) and overall composition, how I feel, etc. Once there, I always allow myself a ~3 pound variance just for differences in water weight, etc. More than 3 pounds for more than a day or two though would be the alarm bell unless there's a darn good reason for it.

Hot race weekends (drinking a lot of my hydration mixes so I don't dehydrate mid-race) have seen a 7 pound swing that took the better part of a week to go away, but I know when those weekends are, and if I went into it normal, basically impossible to gain anywhere near that in a matter of a couple days of intense activity lol.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    So for woman the calculation is 100lbs at 5 feet even then add 5lbs for every inch and the range is give or take 10% either way. So if you are 5’1” your healthy weight would be 105 give or take 10% so 94.5-115.5 (I’m a nutritionist this is the clinical way it’s calculated) anywhere in this range would be considered healthy it depends on your body comp muscle mass etc where you feel most comfortable. 🙂

This math gives me a full 30lbs lighter ”goal weight” than what multiple body composition scans and personal discussions with healthcare and fitness/coaching professionals have suggested for me.

My current goal is to get below 80kg (176lbs, still overweight BMI) and once I’m there, see how I feel about weight to lose, recomping etc.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    So for woman the calculation is 100lbs at 5 feet even then add 5lbs for every inch and the range is give or take 10% either way.

And for a man?
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    6’0” male here
    My goal weight is 160
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    range for me.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Been maintaining bet 150-160 for going on 5 yrs. Goal wt is 155 but never seen to stick there. Just bounce bet the 2 extremely. Currently on high side at 158.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have yet to "accidentally" approach, much less dip below, the bottom of my range, and at BMI>23, I am not particularly worried about it to date! :wink:

2016 to 2016 I used a target of 156 to be below 158.
    2017 to 2020 I used a target of 154 to be below 155.
    I used the first Covid lockdown to lower this to 151 to hopefully be around 152 (69kg is 152.1)

My range always refers to a WEIGHT TREND RANGE of about 2.5lbs.

This means that the daily scale weight changes can be much wider, but that after a 2lb TREND LINE increase I start thinking about flipping a switch and applying a sub 200 Cal a day correction.

zvfvj9320ogg.jpg