From abdominal apron to flat-belly success stories and pics?

Options
mel_2812
mel_2812 Posts: 66 Member
Okay,

I have never been pregnant and look like I am.
I have an abdominal apron...

Is there a chance it can go away by itself with proper nutrition and exercise? Or will I need surgery to have the extra skin removed?

Please share your belly-transformation stories and pictures so I can see what kind of results I can get from exercise and nutrition...

Thanks!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I had surgery for it last year. The skin has been stretched and if it is beyond a certain point surgery is the only way. 4 lbs of skin were removed. It was covered by medical insurance in my case as it was deemed necessary to prevent skin infection
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    It depends on genetics, your age, how much you have to lose and how quickly you lose the weight, the slower the better so your skin has time to caych up. Yes it can be done with a lot of hard work, good luck
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm just commenting to see the replies. I had two c-sections and my gut (skin when i'm thinner) hangs over more than I care for.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    In in case anyone has been successful here... :ohwell:
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i heard those "It works" wraps for your tummy work for the saggy skin
    you should look at some before and afters. there so many on instagram.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    All I'm going to add here is that YouTube is full of surgeries gone bad. If you choose to go the surgery route. Choose your surgeon very carefully.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you're at a point where you're seeing enough of a panniculus that you would describe it as an apron, it will probably not go back fully on its own — sorry! :-\

Also bear in mind that, if you decide to go the surgery route and you were really big, you might be better advised to go with a full abdominoplasty (i.e., tummy tuck) instead of just the panniculectomy (i.e., just cutting the panniculus/apron off). A lot of people get just the panniculectomy for one reason or another, and end up still looking like they have a big belly because the abdominal muscle is all distended from when they were heavier.

Good luck!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you're at a point where you're seeing enough of a panniculus that you would describe it as an apron, it will probably not go back fully on its own — sorry! :-\

Also bear in mind that, if you decide to go the surgery route and you were really big, you might be better advised to go with a full abdominoplasty (i.e., tummy tuck) instead of just the panniculectomy (i.e., just cutting the panniculus/apron off). A lot of people get just the panniculectomy for one reason or another, and end up still looking like they have a big belly because the abdominal muscle is all distended from when they were heavier.

Good luck!

Maybe this is just because I had a really good surgeon, but I only had the panniculectomy and things came out fine. This was with a substantial apron.
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i heard those "It works" wraps for your tummy work for the saggy skin
    you should look at some before and afters. there so many on instagram.

I also heard that they work, but you have to maintain it. It doesn't fix it in just a few applications. So you're spending $80 a month or however much it costs for a box of them for however long you want to look good.
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wraps don't work- look around- it's NOT a good investment.
    I still have a skin apron and have a 6 pack. I've gained and lost the same 60-100 lbs 5 times including 4 babies! It will not go away unless surgery is involved. I have bodyfat % of 20 or less and am a sz 2- it's going nowhere with any amount of weightloss.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section. Mine has gotten better with losing weight.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Abdominal apron, lol. That's a hilariously accurate term. I do have one after being overweight and having a 10 lb baby. It's been almost a year and I do notice it slowly shrinking with diet and exercise. Give it time :)
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I understand your fear. I'm 170 lbs and I've been up to 215. I've had two pregnancies, one delivered by c-section. The only thing you can do to prevent or minimize excess skin is lose weight slowly and lift weights. That's what I do and I'm confidant that my stomach will be ok when I reach my goal. Not perfect, but pretty good for a woman who has been quite large, pregnant twice, and had abdominal surgery. I'm not expecting perfection - just whatever results I get from doing my best. Just do what you can and don't focus only on that area. Keep in mind your whole body will improve, your health will improve, and no one sees your belly except for you and anyone you allow to see it. Spanx and flattering clothes will make you feel better if you still feel like it's a problem when you reach your goal.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!