The Incredible Arrogance of Thinking ‘Natural’ Means ‘Good’

Options

Replies

• dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers at work likes to preach about her all natural diet. I remember a while back she said I was going to die because I needed to eat healthier. I pointed out how much weight I've lost and no longer have a need for the medications I was taking in the past. No longer diabetic, or have high blood pressure and cholesterol and my doctor said everything is looking great in my latest blood work. I then ask her how she is doing and what her doctor says. She shuts up and doesn't say anything. She's also nearly 80-90 lbs overweight, rarely exercises, but still is convinced she is much healthier than I because she eats "all natural".

Many people would rather rely on a magic talisman...natural, organic, clean, etc....Rather than the simple logic of controlled consumption and exercise.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    in
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    "Fat Free" is probably one of the most unhealthy health myths in the last 20 years.

The idea was promoted that eating fat makes you fat. It seems logical at face value - if you are "fat", and you are trying to lose "fat", then you should not eat "fat", right?

It's calories that make you fat. Eating your fill of a "fat free" ice cream that is still calorie-dense is still going to pack on the weight.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Greatest example of this is Honey v HFCS

Same thing, basically, yet ...
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Many people would rather rely on a magic talisman...natural, organic, clean, etc....Rather than the simple logic of controlled consumption and exercise.

Eating "natural" foods tends to naturally control your consumption, because "natural" foods generally aren't as calorie-dense nor as compelling to eat as manufactured foods.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    Options

Eating "natural" foods tends to naturally control your consumption, because "natural" foods generally aren't as calorie-dense nor as compelling to eat as manufactured foods.

12 oz ribeye, baked potato w/sour cream and butter, asparagus w /hollandaise... All natural, all yummy, super calorie dense.

It's not the "manufacturing" that makes food calorie dense, it's the ingredients.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Honey tastes better. But my pantry always has sugar, honey, brown sugar, powdered sugar, corn syrup, molasses, and stevia. You never know which sweetener you will need. I have never stocked HFCS in my pantry though.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    12 oz ribeye, baked potato w/sour cream and butter, asparagus w /hollandaise... All natural, all yummy, super calorie dense.

It's not the "manufacturing" that makes food calorie dense, it's the ingredients.

It just turns out that manufactured foods frequently use calorie-dense ingredients, because they are engineered to be extremely tasty and compelling to eat.

And like I said, yes, it is entirely possible to over-consume even eating "natural" foods.

But, like I also said, generally natural foods are not as yummy and not as calorie dense as processed foods, and the natural foods that are tend to be [/u]expensive[/u].

I mean, 10 ounces of Prime Rib has over 800 calories in it. But it's going to be expensive to eat prime rib regularly.

So yeah, if you sit down every meal to a steak dinner with all the natural trimmings, you are probably going to over-consume.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bears and lions are natural but by no means healthy or safe!

Never eaten lion, but what is unhealthy about bear?
  • maillemaker
    Options

...honey isn't in most processed foods.

If honey was put in foods the same way HFCS is, you'd have the same calorie problem.

Honey is just way more expensive than HFCS, so they use HFCS to make the food sweet and compelling to eat.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Honey tastes better. But my pantry always has sugar, honey, brown sugar, powdered sugar, corn syrup, molasses, and stevia. You never know which sweetener you will need. I have never stocked HFCS in my pantry though.

I don't have a bottle of HFCS, but I have no doubt there is some in my pantry. :wink:
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes.

And in for the fun to follow
    People get really worked up about this topic, from the pro frankenfood and the 'natural' side. Personally, I think real food (ie, stuff your grandparents would have recognized as such) beats anything created in a lab, but to each his own. OTOH, my standard answer to my mother when she says something is 'natural' is 'Hemlock is Natural'.

But mostly I'm hoping for gif's.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    some-men-just-like-to-watch-the-world-burn-quote-i4.jpg
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Honey has more vitamins/antioxidants and other healthy things than HFCS, so I wouldn't call them the same unless all you are thinking about is the amount of sugar.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Whatever! I know that natural tobacco is good!

J/k

As is hemlock, death camus, cyanide, and many many more.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Heee! I am going to bring this up next time I am sitting with all the Moms at soccer practice! They are always trying to one up each other on who is healthier, going on about the latest products they found, complaining about how far it is to get to the nearest Whole Foods, Trader Joe's is not as healthy as they claim ect. Going on about doctor OZ.
    Oddly, none of them look particularly healthy. They are either as overweight as I am or skinny fat, with awful skin. So boring, the little adult conversation I get and this is all they have to talk about!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Whatever! I know that natural tobacco is good!

J/k

As is hemlock, death camus, cyanide, and many many more.

These aren't natural foods though. And while some natural foods may contain traces of toxins, when someone says "natual food" they are usually referring to, well, food.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Natural boobies are good!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    Options
    ALL boobies are good!

Fixed that for you.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options