What do you eat pre workout? I am looking for suggestions.

I am trying to find a way to workout in the morning and my excuse of not doing that someday is that either that I am hungry or that my breakfast was too heavy. What is a good pre workout meal? What is your favorite?

Replies

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Protein bar, yoghurt and berries or small protein smoothie.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Lately it's been a protein shake, Nesquik and whey. Plus an espresso about 30 min before.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Coffee, little bit of fruit and Greek yogurt. Most of the time i eat more after my workout. But it depends. If I'm hungry in the morning, then full breakfast before my bike ride, which is my usual exercise.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Depends how early in the morning, how long you have been awake for etc... Typically coffee and a banana would be fine for early morning then have protein shake whilst you work out or before if there is a larger time frame from waking up to working out.
  • lucidchroma
    lucidchroma Posts: 57 Member
    @Hanibanani2020 @sardelsa I think protein shake with mangoes and caffeine is a good choice. Thank you. Also, Banani is my boyfriend's cat's name haha!

@icemom011 eating after workout sounds better for me too. But I wake up, check my instagram, follow up emails before anything and that takes about some time. And I get gradually hungry before the workout.

@Sawjer earlier, like about 6.30. I wake up around 5-ish. I will try protein shake from today. Or bread and cheese and protein shake with caffeine. Thank you.
  • Milan1825
    Milan1825 Posts: 6 Member
    I like to have 2, sometimes 3 eggs with half an avocado OR I do scrambled eggs with some spinach and bell pepper (2 eggs and some egg whites) with that side of avocado. The fats and protein combo really seems to work for me and I have tons of energy before my workout. i try to eat an hour before my training session.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I would do something like coffee and banana with nuts or yogurt or coffee/banana/protein smoothie. I don't eat before my first workout. But this works for me before a run.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I just run when I get up. I drink 500ml of water as I'm sorting out the cats' and dogs' breakfasts and run without eating. I'm always hungry when I wake up but exercising staves it off and I'll eat after I've done that and walked one of the dogs usually.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    If I'm running, oatmeal with some fruit and nuts in. I put the oats and milk in a bowl while I drink a coffee and they are soft by the time coffee is done. Anything else it's usually yoghurt and fruit with some seeds or nuts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Unless my workout is going to be a couple of hours, I prefer to work out without eating anything first. But if I wake up and feel especially hungry, I'll have something like a piece of toast (maybe with a bit of jam) or an orange. It settles pretty good for me and I don't feel weighed down.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Nothing. I can't eat that early.

I'm at the gym between 4:30 and 5:00, and don't eat any food until 9:30 or so.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    A whey protein shake and a small serving of fruit usually do it for me.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,971 Member
    I usually have a cup of coffee with sugar and half and half. If I am going to be running longer than 1.5 hours then I might take some energy chews with me.
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 192 Member
    I have a protein powder that I sometimes drink before weight training because it has creatine for building muscle and taurine for energy and all that other fancy amino acid stuff in it. Feels like cheating, so mostly I just ensure I am hydrated before I start. If I get fit enough that I can work out for longer than half an hour I guess I'll probably start worrying about pre workout stuff then.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Before morning workouts, I eat peanut butter on X, and drink some kefir.

If I'm going to on-water rowing, X is an Ezekiel pita. If spin class, it's something called a Coco Lite Pop Cake, basically a very light, crispy, tortilla-sized cracker thingie (20 calories) that is just sturdy enough to hold the peanut butter. Experience taught me that rowing goes better with just that tiny bit more carbohydrates beforehand, especially if I don't want to be ravenous after.

Experiment!

(BTW: This was my non-pandemic routine. My pandemic routine is to sleep late, not even consider morning exercise, and instead exercise in the afternoon or evening, sometimes way late. Like, it's 10:04PM now, and I'm about to go visit my rowing machine. ;) If I need a snack before these workouts, it's usually just some fruit, candy, or cheese.)
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    This morning's 50-min ride was half a Clif bar (peanut butter flavour), a coffee and a tall glass of water.

This is a loop I've done several times now but always fasted. Today's run was slower 🤔

Could've been a number of factors (including several "girl issues" that'll be TMI for now) but I can't help but blame it on having eaten first.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    So what I eat before I workout depends on when I can get to the gym. So there really isn't a set thing.

For mornings, if I'm going first thing I'll take a sports drink with caffeine and drink it while I work out. Nothing before.

For later mornings (when I usually go, what I shoot for) I eat my usual bagel with butter and coffee with half and half. I then take the sports drink with caffeine, or water, or water with one of those little squirty things in it.

If I work out after lunch, I don't usually eat anything special before and drink water during. If I work out late afternoon, I'll have a somewhat balanced snack - like greek yogurt (sweetened) or cheese and crackers before I go and drink water at the gym.

If I workout at night, I don't like to workout quickly after dinner (and I don't snack after dinner) so it's just dinner before and water during.

I usually have a small protein shake after my workout.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    It is NOT okay to exercise on an empty stomach unlike what many believe.
    I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU TO GO THROUGH THIS ARTICLE FOR BETTER HELP

SOURCE-https://www.femina.in/fitness/health/the-best-preworkout-foods-2766.html

I would love to see the research behind your claim