Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Should I buy an elliptical?

2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    So I am recently thinking about buying an elliptical machine, as I am getting tired of doing the same YouTube workouts everyday. I'm not sure how effective it is in terms of fat loss, and if it is worth buying. I really need advice regarding this, so if you guys could help and tell your experiences with it, I would be forever grateful <3

In terms of fat loss any machine will be equally effective when combined with a calorie deficit and consistent use.

You can lose fat with zero exercise but with a regular exercise program you'll also gain fitness.

Personally I've never used an elliptical (I'd much rather be running or riding on the open road) but Know lots of people who have bought what effectively become expensive towel racks.... I know that now is not the time to be going to gyms but given that a decent machine is relatively expensive I'd want to at least do a few sessions on one before committing to spending the $$.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I personally hate ellipticals and think they're stupid. Do a jumping jack same full body effort!

Jumping jacks are much harder on the joints than an elliptical would be. If the OP has bad knees, it would be a terrible idea for them to do jumping jacks. Of course, the OP never stated whether they actually enjoy using an elliptical. My arc trainer and I are spending more time together now as I have built up some muscle/endurance and don’t feel like I’m going to die everytime I use it anymore lol
  • meharmahshahid
    meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
    Already bought it 😂
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    If you can afford one and will use it as part of a balanced exercise program - why not?

But, if plans are to use it as the sole or primary exercise - no.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I personally hate ellipticals and think they're stupid. Do a jumping jack same full body effort!

I would need a knee replacement after about the 10th jump.

I have a lower end elliptical that I like just fine. I can do 1.5 hours on it now.

The hardship for me was getting out of my own head while doing it. After experimentation I found that Netflix and a show that had some action but one I had not seen before was the ticket.