Building Heat Acclimation

Options
Theoldguy1
Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
edited July 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Having a bit of debate with myself. The gyms opened in my state and I can go back in for my resistance training. It's gotten really warm in my area and for the next couple weeks it will be 100 degrees in my makeshift garage gym (about 15-20 degrees warmer than it has been).

Thinking of just sucking it a bit and working out in the garage to build some heat acclimation. Thoughts?

Replies

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking put an AC in your garage gym. How hard can it be?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Workout early in the morning while it's still cooler.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Workout early in the morning while it's still cooler.

I'm up at 5 for an hour of rucking before starting WFH. I find it more efficient to ruck in the morning as I feel like I can just get up and go. To lift, I need more "awake" time and loosening up to feel good, hence doing resistance work in the afternoon is more time efficient for me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Get a big fan? Later in the evening when it's cooler might work.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Put ice in your pockets.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm in Maryland and my gym is open. We have to wear a mask to go in. We get our temperature checked at the front desk. We are allowed to take our masks off when exercising. Half the equipment is roped off so you can't be too close to anyone. You only need to put your mask on if you are closer than 6 ft.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I live in Tucson and it's in the 100s every day now. I row on my deck at 5 AM, weekdays and on Sundays at 7 AM. Today it was 90 when I started. It can be done but not in a hot garage. I'd open your garage doors and do it very early in the AM and get a fan for sure.

Sounds like you're wondering if it's good to workout when it's hotter. If you don't have to, no.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I used to live in the Aussie outback and it rarely got below 40C. We were up before 5 to finish heavy work by 9 then out again at 6 to do some more work until 8. Highly recommend early morning workouts.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I think it will make you hot and more susceptible to dehydration or heat stroke. Not sure it will do much for physical heat acclimation. It “might” help you deal with it mentally.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    One of those wet cooling towels? There’s several brands. I used them in the ring when I was a “sidewalker” for a special needs horseback riding program. Very effective.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. you should have started in winter to get used to the heat. Doesn't help now of course. When I was living in the middle east I was still running outside at 107F, after sunset. I found the best thing for me was to wear light cotton or similar clothes that don't wick moisture away from the body but get trapped there. Preferably longer trousers. A mild wind (maybe a fan) and moist clothes kept me cool. Plus drinking a lot of course.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Hmm.. you should have started in winter to get used to the heat. Doesn't help now of course. When I was living in the middle east I was still running outside at 107F, after sunset. I found the best thing for me was to wear light cotton or similar clothes that don't wick moisture away from the body but get trapped there. Preferably longer trousers. A mild wind (maybe a fan) and moist clothes kept me cool. Plus drinking a lot of course.

To be honest, I've been working out it the garage since our gyms closed down in March, around 35 degrees F when I started. It's the Midwest US so obviously it's been getting warmer since March, we're just having our typical hot streak where the temp is jumping 15 degrees or so from what it has been.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I'm in Maryland and my gym is open. We have to wear a mask to go in. We get our temperature checked at the front desk. We are allowed to take our masks off when exercising. Half the equipment is roped off so you can't be too close to anyone. You only need to put your mask on if you are closer than 6 ft.

What gym are you at? I’m in Maryland too & Lifetime Fitness requires mask at all times. Lifting with a mask isn’t that bad. But running on a treadmill masked sucks.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »

What gym are you at? I’m in Maryland too & Lifetime Fitness requires mask at all times. Lifting with a mask isn’t that bad. But running on a treadmill masked sucks.

I think different counties have different rules. I'm in Queen Anne's County.
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes you should. I run in the heat because supposedly it helps with VO2max and theoretically makes running in cooler temps easier eventually.
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    And plus sometimes it’s just fun and healthy to sweat buckets.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    While it never (well, hardly ever) gets to 100 degrees here, I've always done fine rowing outdoors starting in Spring, and working up to the hot days (90s, humid; full sun on the water so not observably). I'll admit that I usually did steady state work on the very hottest days, rather than race-pace pieces or intense intervals or something. (And I'm old, besides, not a perky 20-something).

If you've been doing this regularly as it heated up, I think you'd probably be fine, with adequate hydration before/during/after unless you're an individual who's extra heat sensitive.

+1 to the recommendation of those cooling scarves/towels. The ones you soak in water first can be kept in the refrigerator before use, too. Positioning them near major blood vessels may be helpful. Another hot weather workout strategy I've used (especially during races) was to pour water on my clothes. In a garage, with a fan, the water-on-clothes thing would be even more helpful, I'd bet.

Try a short workout, be very attentive to how you feel during/after and see. If you live with someone, have them check on you after a few minutes, or watch, for the first time or two.

Don't die, OK? ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I have a Mission cooling headband. They are great.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Air temp in the garage today was 98. Felt fine. Upper body resistance and some weighted tire pulls and suircase carries up and down the public sidewalk.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Air temp in the garage today was 98. Felt fine. Upper body resistance and some weighted tire pulls and suircase carries up and down the public sidewalk.

Glad you were able to perform your workout in the heat. I routinely exercise in the heat (running and cycling) and use some of the methods suggested above.

Two clothing items that I often wear in the heat are cooling sleeves on my arms and a mesh running hat. In addition to offering protection from intense sun, both of these items provide great relief when wet. One trick I learned during races is to pour water not only in my hat, but also on a small sponge and tuck it under the hat. The sponge holds the water and you can pull it out and wipe your face as needed.