Why is this happening?

Options
It has been 2-3months since I started on this weight loss journey. I am 159cm,58.8kg(currently) and I keep my calories below 1050 kcal everyday. I workout semi-regularly like abt 3-4times per week and I do control my diet by consuming sweet potato eggs and tofu often. However, my weight just drops really slowly, about 1kg per month?? I started off at 60.8kg back in the beginning of May, and what annoys me is that whenever I reach a new lower weight, it increases the day after.... On 1 July my weight finally dropped from 58.8 and went to 58.3kg but the day after it increased, two days after 1 July I did exceed my calorie intake by about 200/300 calories(this doesn't happen often) ,but after that I went back to my usual diet but I am back to my 58.8kg weight.. This happens really often and it is honestly getting so discouraging.At times I wonder if I can even reach my goal weight....

Replies

• kaylakim18
    kaylakim18 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am quite petite so I thought I should consumer lesser calories moreover, I used tdee calculator to calculate how much I should be consuming and I do not workout that intensely that's one of the reasons.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Smaller bodies use less energy.

Me for example: I am 5'5", 45 year old female and now about 143.5 heading for 130. My BMR + sedentary daily activity means I only burn about 1650 calories per day total. Very active weekend days I may get up to 1800-1900. I eat around 1400 approximately. 1650-1400 = 250, or about .5 pounds per week on average for what I can expect to lose per week.

• kaylakim18
    Options
    kaylakim18 wrote: »
    I am quite petite so I thought I should consumer lesser calories moreover, I used tdee calculator to calculate how much I should be consuming and I do not workout that intensely that's one of the reasons.

I would be skeptical about a TDEE calculator that gave you a goal of 1,050 as someone who is working out regularly. Generally, 1,200 is the lowest that a woman should go (and most women who are exercising shouldn't even go that low).

Usually for my workouts I only do 20mins of HIIT and that's about it, and I thought this amount of weight loss is not much, hence I lowered my calorie consumption.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Are you using a foodscale for everything that contains calories and are you making sure you select correct database entries?
  • kaylakim18
    Options

I'm shorter than you (I'm 155-156cm) and I lose weight just fine on 1,300 calories, and I'm sedentary. I get a 30min walk a day tops, and I eat more on the days I do workout. It's about accurate logging, and understanding that water weight can cause fluctuations with weight. You have to stick to your logging and look at trends over several weeks to get an understanding of how it's working.

What's happening right now is that you're undereating, and therefore are in a dehydrated state in terms of water and necessary nutrients. When you eat a little more, you'll gain a lot of water weight because your body is trying to get back to it's "natural" state where it has enough nutrients to function optimally. It retains water to process the added nutrients it needs.

In short, you are at an artificially low weight. You should eat a more appropriate diet, accept a slight gain that's all water weight, and then continue eating at a more appropriate level, at least 1,200, to then continue loss from what is your true starting weight. This gain doesn't affect measurements, it's literally just added weight on the scale, so don't think of it as gaining weight.

I know you changed your profile, but Daniel wouldn't want you to undereat!

So if I increase my calorie intake to about 1200 calories, would the water weight that I gained shed off eventually?? Hahaha Daniel 😆😂
  • kaylakim18
    Options

I would be skeptical about a TDEE calculator that gave you a goal of 1,050 as someone who is working out regularly. Generally, 1,200 is the lowest that a woman should go (and most women who are exercising shouldn't even go that low).

Usually for my workouts I only do 20mins of HIIT and that's about it, and I thought this amount of weight loss is not much, hence I lowered my calorie consumption.

I think the issue is that your goals aren't realistic. Since you don't weight much, you won't lose much each week. Trying to cut your calories further to reach a higher rate of loss is just going to result in undereating.

So would increasing my calorie intake to about 1200calories help me to further lose more weight ??
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If you eat the right amount of food you will be healthy. That I think is more important than shedding weight quickly. Water weight is not something you shed considering your body consists of 70% water, and variations of this are just part of life.
  • kaylakim18
    Options

I think the issue is that your goals aren't realistic. Since you don't weight much, you won't lose much each week. Trying to cut your calories further to reach a higher rate of loss is just going to result in undereating.

So would increasing my calorie intake to about 1200calories help me to further lose more weight ??

Most people would find that they would lose weight at 1,200 calories, but I'm curious about why you would choose that as your goal? It feels like you're randomly picking numbers. What you want to do is figure out what a reasonable deficit is for you and then consistently hit that. The issue here is that your expectations don't seem to be realistic. 1 kg a month is a good rate of loss for someone at your weight.

How can I figure out a reasonable deficit for me? Do I use the calorie calculators online?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Most people would find that they would lose weight at 1,200 calories, but I'm curious about why you would choose that as your goal? It feels like you're randomly picking numbers. What you want to do is figure out what a reasonable deficit is for you and then consistently hit that. The issue here is that your expectations don't seem to be realistic. 1 kg a month is a good rate of loss for someone at your weight.

How can I figure out a reasonable deficit for me? Do I use the calorie calculators online?

There are tons of calorie calculators online. Some are great, some are okay, some are terrible. The one you already found recommending under 1,200, I wouldn't use that one. Have you tried entering your goals and stats into MFP? That will give you a calorie goal (make sure you choose a reasonable rate of loss).
  • kaylakim18
    Options

There are tons of calorie calculators online. Some are great, some are okay, some are terrible. The one you already found recommending under 1,200, I wouldn't use that one. Have you tried entering your goals and stats into MFP? That will give you a calorie goal (make sure you choose a reasonable rate of loss).

Sorry what's MFP?
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal

• kaylakim18
    edited July 2020
    Options

Yeap I tried entering my goals and stats into MFP, and the calorie intake they recommended for me is 1200kcal
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

Yeap I trief entering my goals and stats into MFP, and the calorie intake they recommended for me is 1200kcal

What rate of loss are you choosing?
  • kaylakim18
    edited July 2020
    Options

Yeap I trief entering my goals and stats into MFP, and the calorie intake they recommended for me is 1200kcal

What rate of loss are you choosing?

I chose 0.5kg/week and they recommended me 1200kcal, I tried clicking on 0.75kg&1kg/week and they also recommended me 1200kcal which is weird...