Good sources of iron

Options
jojopops1
jojopops1 Posts: 15 Member
according to my food diary I'm hardly ever hitting my iron goal. What foods are Mediterranean diet friendly. High in iron? Thank you

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    The food in the database is entered by users and a lot of the correct info isn't in there, so you need to vet every item you use for accuracy before you use it or enter a new food using a reputable database or the label.

You can google for a list of, "High iron foods," or I'll tag @kshama2001 who may have a list...she watches her iron. :)

• jojopops1
    Options
    Thank you. Could you please tag them that would be great.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    1. Wrong entries

I'm anemic and can attest that many of the user-entered iron values in the database are wrong. Often they leave the iron value out completely or use grams instead of %, etc. I use admin-entered entries as much as possible. I have never seen incorrect iron entries for these.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

The USDA changed the platform for their database in 2019 and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but SR Legacy - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)

2. Mediterranean diet friendly high iron foods

I'm super low iron these days so am concentrating on liverwurst and red meat, which I realize are not Med Diet friendly. I also have a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses every AM in warm water with powdered vitamin C, which enhances iron absorption. Several brands provide 20% of the RDA, but many do not, so check labels. Note that blackstrap molasses is different from regular molasses, ex: Grandma's.

Seafood is Med friendly. All shellfish is high in iron, but clams, oysters, and mussels are particularly good sources.

Ditto for legumes. One cup (198 grams) of cooked lentils contains 6.6 mg, which is 37% of the DV

When I finish up my bean salad, I think I'm going to make a lentil salad with pumpkin seeds. A 1-ounce (28-gram) serving of pumpkin seeds contains 2.5 mg of iron, which is 14% of the DV. Maybe have it on a bed of spinach. About 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of raw spinach contain 2.7 mg of iron, or 15% of the DV. Although this is non-heme iron, which isn’t absorbed very well, spinach is also rich in vitamin C. This is important since vitamin C significantly boosts iron absorption

Is dark chocolate Med-friendly? A 1-ounce (28-gram) serving contains 3.4 mg of iron, which is 19% of the DV.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    jojopops1 wrote: »
    Thank you. Could you please tag them that would be great.

That's what I did...if you put "@" in front of a user's name, it alerts them...that's why it's blue. :)
  • jojopops1
    Options
    kshama2001, that is great. I eat seeds daily. And spinach. A lot of seafood. I could be doing way better than I think. Thank you so much
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    jojopops1 wrote: »
    kshama2001, that is great. I eat seeds daily. And spinach. A lot of seafood. I could be doing way better than I think. Thank you so much

My pleasure!

Do check every entry you use as you may be getting way more iron than you think.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Many animal foods are rich in iron. Here are some plant based ones:

ttovqaul2xqt.jpeg