Is there anything you eat that you don't bother to weigh and log?

Options
LynnJ9
LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
edited July 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I am curious if most people weigh and log everything. Do you weigh lettuce for salads? Do you log every little thing, even a handful of blueberries?

Replies

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I’m not right with my logging when it comes to leafy greens or low cal berries in small amounts but everything else is logged.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I log pretty much everything except gum. I figure I burn the calories from chewing it. And it helps me stop snacking.
  • tequierosince06
    tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I ate 2 cheese its from my daughters bowl today and didn’t log it. If i had more I would have logged it. Sometimes I cant resist the tortilla chips on the counter and I eat 4 or 5. I log it. Sometimes I want dessert so I eat 2 marshmallows. I log it. I do log my romaine lettuce.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't weight lettuce leaves, but I do log them by approximate volume. However that's probably the only thing I don't weigh. Definitely weigh blueberries, as I'm terrible at guessing weights and those suckers can add up quickly.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I'll usually not bother logging a leaf or two of lettuce, a thin slice of tomato, a couple of slices of onion or pickles on a sandwich. Or vinegar or mustard used to make salad dressing or other homemade condiment. Herbal teas.

I don't always log black coffee, black tea, or diet soda. Once in a while I won't bother logging a little splash of fruit juice added to seltzer, but usually I do.

Pretty much everything else gets logged
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I don't always log water, black coffee, black tea or salt. I'm careful with salt though - one unmeasured pinch a day is fine, but if I want to do that more than once, out come the scales as I know I could really overdo it with too much leeway.

Generally, I'm very good at logging, because from experience, I know what happens when I stop taking it seriously... ;)

Edited to add: I have a digital scale spoon for weighing really small things. If I didn't have this, I guess I'd be more inclined to not log things like a handful of berries. I guess the fact that I know I can weigh accurately makes me more inclined to do so.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I don’t use my food scale that often anyway. I still eyeball or approximate by package most things, but there are some things I log with the same ”standard” serving size pretty much every time regardless of how much I actually put in a dish:
    - lettuce
    - Cucumber
    - Onion
    - Garlic
    - Butter spread and cheese on toast (I occasionally weigh and then keep using the same serving size, as I tend to eat same/similar sized bread so the serving size stays approximately the same)

I don’t log dry spices (salt, pepper, dried herbs, chili powder etc), fresh herbs from my garden or splashes of citrus juice concentrates.

So far this has worked well enough for me, but I know tightening up my logging is the first thing I need to do if the scale stops moving and/or I get small enough to have to eat such a small deficit there’s no room for this kind of error. I still prefer the thought of learning more intuitive eating habits and using food logging as a guideline to make sure I’m on the right track, but that might be daydreaming.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    The lime or lemon wedge I put in my matcha daily, one extra frozen blueberry (the one I pop in my mouth daily while making my oatlmeal with weighed frozen mixed berries), added salt (no sodium-related health problems, else I'd bother), some calorie-negligible herbs/seasonings that are shaken/ground on (like dried basil or black pepper). Occasional calorie-negligible drinks (e.g., herb teas). Also, every single thing I forgot I ate (not many of those, I'dbetcha ;) ).

Everything else, when at home, weighed and logged, because the "weigh it, log it" routine works better for me personally than "think about whether it's worth logging, then maybe weigh/log". I like autopilot: Weigh, log. Others preferences may vary. It's a personal style thing, eh? ;)
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I’m a lazy logger. I guesstimate all the time. I’d never weigh salad.

I weigh calorie dense things like butter. It’s worked fine for me in maintenance. If I was gaining I guess I would tighten up.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When I used to log I would usually weigh something once and then use that entry always. Sometimes I'd weigh bananas, apples, avocado, dry pasta for lunch, peanut butter in a smoothie, cheese. I used measuring spoons/cups for liquids, egg whites, oils and dressings, cooked rice, potatoes, beans, berries. Or if just go with serving size on the package.

I often weighed my main protein sources like meat, protein powder, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, only up until dinner then I would just guestimate. Weekends I would estimate or do a quick add calories since I would be out a lot.

Looking back, I was a really inaccurate logger. I mostly used it as a food diary to keep track of what I ate and my approximate protein levels. It worked well for me to learn to be more aware of my intake, now I don't log at all.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Right now I log every single thing but low calorie items I just log as a standard amount. Lettuce is one of those but blueberries aren't because they're too high calorie to fall in my f it section of my brain. But I will measure some things by volume not grams. Also if I'm at someone else's house or out and about I guesstimate. I am doing this because I'm losing as expected if not quicker than expected. When I get to the end and its the last few lbs I will weigh everything.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    stuff like lettuce and "average sized" tomatoes, sometimes. I usually still have a rough idea of how much they weigh (just from the label) but with my salads it's like a 10kcal variance which evens out once I finish the container anyway
  • meharmahshahid
    meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    One teaspoon of basil seeds and lemon
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Spices and herbs sprinkled on top of foods ( in recipes I use the recipe builder and theyre included there), lettuce and tomato in sandwiches. That's about it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    There are lots of things I dont weigh - every banana I eat is either a small banana or 1.5 or such of a small banana.
    I dont weigh eggs - they are all mediums size.
    Just 2 of many examples where I use law of averages.

But I do log those things.

Things like lettuce leafs, slices of tomato - no, I dont weigh them or bother logging them.