Mediterrean diet?

Options
Has anyone tried this type of food? My friend took me to a mediterrean place today and shes a health freak lol but is the food healthy and low in calories? I got the red lentil soup which was AMAZINGGG and I tried some chickpea salad. Is moussaka and other foods there healthy like the gyro or lamb? I also got this spinach stuff ...i dont really remember the name of anything

Replies

• LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If I went on a Mediterranean diet, I would blow up from all the hummus, baba ghanoush, pita and olive oil. :laugh:
    Fantastic food, in moderation, of course. :smile:
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your definition of "healthy" is

For me it's whatever fits in my calories and macros, so yeah it's healthy
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    hummus is great, you can make it up yourself, I buy mine at the market , it is made fresh daily.

It is mainly chickpeas, some lemon , garlic , olive oil, salt.

I use the hummus on my whole wheat pasta instead of regular pasta sauces. I add a dash of pepper a sprinkle of pepper. Very tasty and it is a great source of protein.

I believe a major this type of diet is the use of Olive Oil . It is by far a healthy choice.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    hummus is great, you can make it up yourself, I buy mine at the market , it is made fresh daily.

It is mainly chickpeas, some lemon , garlic , olive oil, salt.

I use the hummus on my whole pasta instead of regular pasta sauces. I add a dash of pepper a sprinkle of pepper. Very tasty and it is a great source of protein.

Don't forget the tahini....delicious, delicious tahini....
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    Tzatziki sauce is wonderful as well made from yogurt and cucumbers and dill.

I use it as an added flavor 1 tbsp. on top of my wild rice. It makes it so much more yummy, just like eating out in a Greek Restaurant.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It is one of the healthier diet plans out there. It was recommended in my nutrition class I took a couple weeks ago because it is full of healthy fats, leaner meats/fish, and lots of veggies. Just make sure you're eating at a deficit if you want to lose weight-- that's all.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ^this basically high fat diet from olive oil and lots of fish.
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    It is not about fats, it is about healthy fats Know your fats.
    http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01037
    The main type of fat found in all kinds of olive oil is monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs). MUFAs are actually considered a healthy dietary fat. If your diet emphasizes unsaturated fats, such as MUFAs and polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs), instead of saturated fats and trans fats, you may gain certain health benefits.

MUFAs and PUFAs may help lower your risk of heart disease by improving related risk factors. For instance, MUFAs may lower your total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels. MUFAs may also help normalize blood clotting. And some research shows that MUFAs may also benefit insulin levels and blood sugar control, which can be especially helpful if you have type 2 diabetes.

But even healthier fats like olive oil are high in calories, so use them only in moderation. Choose MUFA-rich foods such as olive oil instead of other fatty foods — particularly butter and stick margarine — not in addition to them. And remember that you can't make unhealthy foods healthier simply by adding olive oil to them.

Also, be aware that heat, light and air can affect the taste of olive oil and possibly its health-promoting nutrients. Store olive oil in a dark, room-temperature cupboard, or even in the refrigerator. The fats and healthy phytonutrients in olive oil — as well as the taste — can slowly degrade over time, so it's probably best to use it within a year or within six months once opened.
  • Klarini
    Klarini Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mediterrean diet is healthy, but portion control is key if you want to lose weight. It is based on good quality ingredients, but it's not really low calorie diet per se. Tahini, for example, is over 600 kcal/100g, but it's not meant to be eaten in huge amounts anyway. The meals are delicious and it's very tempting to go overboard.