What do you do when you just don't feel the motivation of exercising daily?

2»

Replies

• Fifi2183
    Fifi2183 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you all for your comments!! After reading your replies I have made some changes for good 😊.God bless you all and keep you safe and healthy in this quarantine 🙏🏻
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Just do it because it’s time, not because you feel excited. For me, motivation Often kicks in after 10-15 min into the workout, or sometimes afterwards.

Yes, if I had a dollar for every run that I was dreading when I started but was fine with once I was fifteen minutes in . . . I'd have a lot of dollars.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    What Nike advises.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    If I don't feel like working out then I don't. My workouts all have a proper goal, like being able to do a pull-up, do 10 proper pushups, do the front splits, etc. Thus that keeps me going anyway as I want to know if I progressed somewhere. But honestly: don't feel like it then I skip it.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    I do it anyway. I'd rather force myself to do some exercise for 30minutes than force myself look in the mirror at this weight for the rest of my life!
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Just do it because it’s time, not because you feel excited. For me, motivation Often kicks in after 10-15 min into the workout, or sometimes afterwards.

Yep, this. I enjoy when I get going. Or maybe just forget I didn't want to do it in the first place.
  • higginsl1969
    higginsl1969 Posts: 20 Member
    Sometimes you just need a break. Mentally and physically. Take week of and come back fresh. You won’t lose progress in a weeks time. 🤗
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    edited July 2020
    I do it anyway. I focus on the wonderful feeling I have when I finished and how glad I am that I did it.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    "What do you do when you just don't feel the motivation of exercising daily?" I do my regularly scheduled workout. Never regretted doing a workout, always regretted missing one. The reason for doing so never seems to justify being lazy. Now, if there is a VALID reason, injury, scheduled rest day, life gets in the way in a big way... Not feeling the "motivation" is never a reason.
  • johnbhusted
    johnbhusted Posts: 7 Member
    Just do it because it’s time, not because you feel excited.

I didn't know there was any other way to do it. The only excitement I get is knowing I get to stop exercising once my routine is done. ;-)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited July 2020
    I currently mountain bike 20-23 miles every day unless the weather is super bad, and then I use my spin bike indoors. I also weight train. As others have said, it is just routine for me now. On the real bad days of not "feeling like it" , I do it anyway and usually start getting in the groove as I push through. just find something that you actually enjoy doing and it won't become a chore. I also remember how far I have come in a year. Last year, I wouldn't have dreamed I could bike 20 plus miles a day at a vigorous pace.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    There's no problem with skipping a workout if you are not feeling it. I took a whole week off because I needed to clear my head and start fresh. That being said I don't use not feeling like it as an excuse, but there are days where I know it just won't be worth it for me to get in the gym and I would be better off postponing my session. However if there is no way to postpone (due to my schedule) I bite the bullet and get it done.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    I find that if I schedule it online at the gym or with a friend, I keep the appointment. Otherwise, I can always come up with a good excuse not to work out.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    I know I don't have to exercise. I do know I feel better when I exercise. I selfishly want that feeling, I have a craving for that feeling, I have a hunger for that feeling. I know how to get that feeling. I'll exercise.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    If that is your normal mode then you may want to evaluating your exercise routine. Maybe something new will do you good
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited August 2020
    I know I don't have to exercise. I do know I feel better when I exercise. I selfishly want that feeling, I have a craving for that feeling, I have a hunger for that feeling. I know how to get that feeling. I'll exercise.
    @HeidiCooksSupper Now I want a motivational poster that says that! You are a genius!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited August 2020
    g6va4ynbv987.jpeg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Fifi2183 wrote: »
    I've been doing exercises during this quarantine and improving my nutrition, but some days I just feel I don't even want to leave my bed.
    However I keep on doing it, but with this 😩 attitude...
    Is it good to skip some days? I wonder because our body respond to our mental state and those days I feel that I don't accomplish my goal while I work out.

A rest day now and then is OK.

I have to leave my bed, even if I don't feel like it for work, university, and so on. So I have to be up and about. If I'm kind of dragging, I'll go for a walk. If I'm more energetic, it might be a bicycle ride, run or row.

• ItsAStrangeLoop
    ItsAStrangeLoop Posts: 14 Member
    Everyone has given really good advice but I will add my 2 cents for what they're worth.
    I have been a very "all in or all out" person for the past decade. I either work my butt off, or do nothing at all.
    What worked for me was balance, schedules and flexibility. Some days it's really hard to run, legs hurt, PMS is poking its ugly head, I am too tired. I either do an at-home workout (even if it's gentle) or hit the pavement, run for 10' to be fully warmed up and then, if I don't feel like it, I just walk.
    The most important thing, in my opinion, is to not bring yourself down. Love your self and your body and do right by them.