Macro's

Options
Maria282713
Maria282713 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello - I know it varies by person, but I hear soooo many people talk about calorie deficit and macros.
I get calorie deficit and understand the macros overall: protein, fat, carbs - I'm back and forth with what % for each? I have a lot of weight to lose....appox 100 lbs that I have lost 3 x's in my life and regained sadly. Enough of that; but any recommendations on best breakdown to do for faster weight loss? Thanks so much!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about being in a calorie deficit. I'm in the process of trying to lose 90 lbs. I notice I feel fuller longer on the days I eat more protein. But, I've seen others say they feel fuller when they eat more carbs, so it really depends on the person.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    There is no best breakdown for faster weight loss. You might find it easier to stick to a calorie deficit on some macro splits than others, but that’s individual.

Carbs retain water to themselves, so dropping carbs might lead to a quick loss in the beginning as you release fluids. This is, however, not fat loss.

I checked my last week of data, and I definitely don’t eat according to any specific macro split. Protein ranging from 18% to 29%, carbs ranging from 30% to 47%, and fat ranging from 29% to 52% in the last week. I lose weight just fine and don’t have issues with satiety.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Calories determine weight loss, especially in the short run.

Macros are the basis of nutrition, and good nutrition is important for health (and maybe satiety or energy).

In the long run, undernutrition can indirectly hinder weight loss, by causing fatigue/weakness (so a person does less, burning fewer calories) or by causing hunger/cravings (so make it hard to stick to a sensible calorie level). But the direct mechanism is still calories.

For weight loss, hit your calorie goal. For nutrition and health, gradually dial in reasonable minimum levels of protein and fats. The MFP default percents aren't too bad for most people, so those are an OK starting point.

If you want to get more detailed about it, here's one run-down: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1