Very sore muscles...should I still exercise today?

Options
So, had my 5th and last baby 6 months ago, and I am again losing 30 lbs...I did it last time with the help of this wonderful website, so I testify that this works. However, beginning again sucks, and I did a good run on the treadmill 2 days ago and did Jillian's 30 day shred yesterday...I am walking around like Frankenstein!! I have to grip the banister on the stairs and sort of stiffly make my way. I really want to keep going and exercise today, but geez! I really hurt! Just getting on the floor with the baby is killing me!

If I wait 2 days or so, will that mean I have to start all over with building back up my muscles, or would they heal enough and be stronger to continue? Thanks!

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I would continue to workout today. What you described is exactly how sore I was the first week of P90X. Didn't want to sit on the toilet, ached walking up and down the stairs, etc. But, it will get easier. Try to do something with a lot of stretching, like yoga. You need to move the lactic acid. Stretch, stretch, stretch before and after your workouts and make sure you have some sort of recovery drink as well (Beachbody makes a great one or you can do chocolate milk - should be a 4:1 carbs:protein ratio).

Have great day and it will get easier!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    yes you need to continue working out, do good stretches. working out will help the muscles release the chemicals and build more tissue.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    working out will help you be less sore believe it or not/ get that blood flowin!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I can only second what other have already said. Go easy until you've recovered enough. Light exercise with lots of stretching, etc. A recovery drink right after exercise does relieve the post exercise soreness so I can really recommend it too.
  • nachoqtpie
    nachoqtpie Posts: 81
    Options
    Kepp workin it girl!! I know it sucks!! The first WEEK I did Jillian I was so sore I couldn't sit on the toilet! It DOES get better!!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It depends on how severe the aching is, but I would advise you to continue...You will almost defintately find that your muscle soreness decreases during you workout! However this may come back after you have finished...you will find that over the next few days, your muscles will hurt less as they adjust to your new workout :flowerforyou:

However, if the aching is extremely bad...I would take a rest day to avoid any injuries! :flowerforyou:
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    keep going! if you dont you will be even more sore tomorrow! the biggest loosers do it!!!! lol....

btw: i was really sore yesterday and was dreading the 30 day shred this morning, but i did it and i feel my muscles have loosend up and im not nearly as sore, (except for my pour thighs!!! damn squats!!!!)
  • 10Lucks
    10Lucks Posts: 12
    Options
    After exercising make sure you really stretch out - I find that works wonders and don't feel any stiffness or soreness
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that specifically addresses that issue.
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/sore-muscles-keep-exercising

As far as the 30 day shred - I stretch 5-10 minutes longer than what they do.
  • SoliQ
    SoliQ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Continue working out
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that specifically addresses that issue.
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/sore-muscles-keep-exercising

As far as the 30 day shred - I stretch 5-10 minutes longer than what they do.

Yeah, I definitely have to stretch longer than what's on the DVD. In fact, it was one of the many things I ranted about in a blog after doing the Shred for a week or two! :laugh:
  • caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And LOL about sitting on the toilet! So true!