First Half Marathon! Excited!

Options
For all of you awesome people on my friends list or not on it. You will know or read here I love running, and do it daily usually around 3 or 4 miles. Well I've decided to run my first half marathon 13.1 miles in Savannah GA this November 9th! Which gives me enough time to train and prepare for it. I'm very excited as this will be my first, and the completion of it will give me a great boost in my own self confidence, which would be great for my mind set.

I owe is to this site for the motivation to actually keep going to the gym everyday honestly. I find it kind of rewarding to post all the exercises/cardio I do and see the 'good jobs' and all that, and honestly it really helps as I'm sure most of you know. So it makes me want to go and push myself so I can than post my results here. I also picked this half marathon for a particular reason. Every mile it has a band playing! So not only is that a good mile marker to track your progress, but it also is a FUN marathon and matches my attitude, I like running and think this just adds to it. Well thanks for reading! See you at the finish line!

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! Drive on!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your awesome goal! I completed my first Half last May and am doing another one in September. I can't even explain the feeling you will have when you cross the finish line! The sense of accomplishment is unbelievable. All your hard work and dedication pays off and you will feel overwhelmed. Good Luck to you and feel free to friend me if you want some encouragement along the way. :)
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm doing that half too! It will be my 5th, and my second Rock & Roll half. I'm hoping (and training) to PR it. The R&R folks do a good job - they are well-run races. I love half's - it's a challenging distance to train for and run, but doable in a few months if you're already running.

After training on the hills of Atlanta, I'm looking forward to the flat streets (or so I hear) of Savannah! Good luck and have fun!
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Since your a runner and got that experience, what has been your experience as far as running shoes? Fact is I can run forever, I feel great before, during and after. However, I'm pretty positive my shoes give me issues in my shins. Not full on shin splints, but they make me feel it so I can always give 100% if ya know what I mean?
  • mike_usmc
    Options
    lol, awesome, maybe I'll see ya there!! I'll be the one at about the 6 mile mark saying "FML".. =o)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    That's great! Half marathons are addicting! I did my first last Oct, second in April and I've got 3 and 4 on the calendar for fall.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I have my first in (gulp) just over a month. Congratulations and good luck!
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    Sounds wild - best of luck to both of you doing the Savannah half!
  • heatherluuu
    heatherluuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well done! That sounds like a lot of fun!
    My first 1/2 is October 6th - The Mo' Cowbell in St. Charles, Missouri. I chose it because of the terrain...nice and flat for my first time out. I was tempted to try the St. Louis Rock N Roll Half Marathon, but I'm chicken.
  • mike_usmc
    Options
    Yeah its pretty exciting, I think I'm getting old. I used to be excited about the hockey season starting or NFL season starting, now I'm excited about a half marathon and buying new shoes for it. The terrain is flat for this race and it should be a fun first, can't wait!
  • YoBecca
    Options
    lol, awesome, maybe I'll see ya there!! I'll be the one at about the 6 mile mark saying "FML".. =o)

No way! You're gonna train right, and be all "NBD" at the finish line!

As for shoes, I think good-quality shoes are key. If there's a running store near you, go in for a good fitting. They will look at your feet, your stride, maybe put you on a treadmill and check for pronation, etc. and help you find good shoes. The shops I go to have a 4-week return policy on shoes , so if you give them a few runs and they clearly aren't working, you can take them back. They also tend to have employees who are runners, and so are actually helpful, compared to other sports-supply or shoe stores.

I wear Brooks - Ghosts for boot camp and anything off-road, and Pure Connect for running and weight training. But you gotta find what works for you. I also am a huge fan of Balega socks. They're pricey, but I love them for long runs.
  • mike_usmc
    Options
    Oh yes, I've already been running daily besides weekends at least 3- 5 miles daily. So although its not marathon training running Im working up to it. Its a good time and I enjoy running and cannot wait for it! I have seen Brooks will have to check those out. Ive always been a new balance fan, I'm sure Ill find something, and your right I have to go to one of those shoe places and get them to see what type of foot and stance I have.
  • SergeantG
    Options
    Hooah!!

I am also training for my first half...its at the end of October....

Go us!! :smile:
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've done three half marathons and a few other races! Let me know if you have any questions.

I liked the Hal Higdon training plans, personally.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

Good luck!
  • YoBecca
    Options
    As you increase your distances on training runs, make sure you plan for water and fuel. It's not really necessary until you get over about 6 miles - but then you'll need to figure out what you need to keep going over the long haul. There's lots of resources for it online, but you'll want to have a fueling plan and work it out before the big day.

(For me it's toast + almond butter and a Gu before starting, then GU and water every 4 miles - but every body is different!)
  • mike_usmc
    Options
    Oh great! Now I have to eat during the half way point? I was wondering how far the body could go with all that, and I understand. Maybe A power bar of some sort would do th trick, even though they all taste like doody. Thanks for the tips though, I'm very excited to get my run on.

Three half marathons.. lol. sounds good! Its hard though, because on November 9th I had a choice. 1) Do I do the Spartan Race? Which isnt that far but has a lot of obstalces? Or 2) Do I just go straight for a full on half marathon? So I chose the 1/2'er. Kind of bummed about the Spartan race though, I've always wanted to do a mud run or spartan race or what not. Bahh maybe next year.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I did the Savannah RnR half last year. The expo is a bit of a pain to get to. They tell you to ferry over and the line does get awfully long.

The course is very flat. The only hill I remember is running over a bridge in the very beginning. The first few miles are through a more industrial and run down part of town, but the rest of the course is pretty nice. The park for the post race is very spacious so it is easy to find a patch of grass to sit down and chill out when done.

Most of the RnR races I have done pass out Gu around mile 8. I still always take my own. Some people don't fuel for half marathons, some do. Fueling during a run is highly individual. I have a hard time stomaching g a whole pack of Gu at once, so I only take 1/2 pack at a time. Typically in miles 4, 6, 8, and 10. Try it out on you long training runs and see what you like.

Good luck!
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am registered to do my first in Feb 2014. I am doing the Daytona half.... as you can see from my pic, I am a Nascar fan. The race starts and finishes on the track which I think is awesome! I am following a Hal Higdon 12 week training program to train for mine.... I have a triathlon in October and then I will start the program. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you the link! Good luck and have fun!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Your excitement is great! Good luck! And remember that since this is your first one, you will definitely have a PR!

I've done 5 Halfs with #6 in December and #7 in February. I will warn you that they are addicting! I will never forget the feeling though when I completed my first one. The best high ever! :smile:
  • mike_usmc
    Options
    I dunno what a PR is.. =o( thanks for all the info everyone, very helpful. The longest run I've ever done was around 8 miles and I did not need to replenish or anything during. Until after the run of course. Thanks for the info about the crowded area for the race, I'll keep that in mind for when I get there. I look foward to it. Im going to have to keep a closer eye on the tough mudders and spartan races, cause when they hit GA or SC or NC, I'm going dang it !!