Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Beginners Fitness Plan

Looking for a two week plan so I can stick to something but not sure where to start. Main purpose is weight loss but keen to build muscle particularly in chest and arms.

Over 20 stone and completely unfit, struggle with brisk walking.

I have a bike which I can do about 5km at a reasonable pace but not sure if I should aim to increase distance or push hard for as long as I can.

Aiming for 10k steps per day.

I have dumbells and the long bar so looking for sets and reps to get me started.

Any help appreciated.

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    FitnessBlender has inexpensive plans. I think they are mostly around 4 weeks.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    As for sets and reps, I use gym goal. In the beginning, it’s going to be trial and error to see how much you can lift. You also need to PUSH. You can’t do 10 reps, 5 sets of a bench press at 50lbs 3-4 days a week. If you’re doing 50lbs on a bench press, by the time you get to the 4th or 5th set (probably even sooner) your reps should decrease as you are pushing your muscles to their limit.

I try to increase my weight by at least 5 lbs every week (more depending on the exercise). I also try to eek out as many reps as I can without injury or damaging my equipment (I have a home gym in my basement) on EACH AND EVERY SET.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    If you cannot comfortably walk, focus on that. Pushing limits too soon simply leads to frustration and injuries. Walking is an awesome exercise, both for fitness and weight loss. Try to walk more every day. Focus on duration, not pace. When you can comfortably walk for whatever you consider a reasonable duration, be it 30 minutes, one hours, two hours, whatever suits you, then increase pace. When you have mastered that, which can be in a couple of weeks or months, depending on how you feel, then look into what else intests you (weights at home, gym, some sport, pool, class etc)