Trying to lose fat not muscle.. Please help!!!!

Options
Hi there,
I'm new to this community and trying to get insight on how I can lose more fat and not muscle.
I go to the gym and lift heavy everyday but I cannot see any weight loss. I'm getting stringer tho I can tell.
I'm thinking of dieting but I'm afraid I'll lose muscle and slack at the gym..
I currently weigh 105kgs
Please help

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    There's really no way to guarantee you won't lose any muscle at all. But the way to give yourself the best chance to do that, or at least to lose as little muscle as possible, is to choose a slow rate of loss, continue lifting, and get enough protein.

The faster the weight loss, the better chance you'll lose muscle as you are possibly forcing your body to burn calories quicker than it can mobilize fat deposits.

Lifting continues to signal your body that your muscle development is a priority, and getting enough protein means you'll be giving it the building blocks to do just that.

What's your height and what would your goal weight be?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    You are doing the right thing by lifting (make sure it is progressive and balanced). Also make sure you get adequate protein (I would aim for 0.8-1g per lb goal weight minimum), also don't lose too aggressively for your stats.

Keep in mind if you just started in the gym your body can retain water which can affect the scale. Are you tracking your food, using a food scale ?
  • mululukakoma
    mululukakoma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @kimny72
    Thanks for that.
    My height is 1.68m and my target weight is 85 to 90 kilos
  • mululukakoma
    mululukakoma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa no I'm not yet tracking my food..
    I'll get right on it
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @kimny72
    Thanks for that.
    My height is 1.68m and my target weight is 85 to 90 kilos

So with 30-40 lbs to lose, you can probably lose @ 1 lb per week just fine without asking too much of your body to sustain that rate of loss.

And if you do feel like your lifting is suffering due to your diet, just tweak it as you go to keep everything in balance. Good luck!