Gaining weight but doing everything the same

Options
I weigh about 172.. Ive been doing everything exactly the same.. Eating the same things and exercising the same but ive gained lile 5 pounds!!! How is this possible

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Need to know what "everything" is. :smile:

Exercise?
    Calorie goal?
    Height?
    Type of exercise?

If you make your diary public it would be easier to offer advice.
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    Are you eating calories back that you burned (you shouldn't be if you are trying to lose weight)? Eating to little? Too much sodium? There are so many factors as to why you are gaining.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Also, don't rely much in the scale, how do your clothes for you?
    Let me give you a good example. 2 weeks ago I weighted 130 at the gym. This morning I weighted 140. Yet my measurements are the same. Those scales come straight from hell, trust me :wink:
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    Exercise doesn't measure how ACTIVE you are per se. Often on days I don't exercise, I am more active around the house, such that my energy expenditure across the days isn't that different. Particularly if you have a desk job, your activity level may be lower and slowly contributing to gradual weight gain.
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Are you eating calories back that you burned (you shouldn't be if you are trying to lose weight)? Eating to little? Too much sodium? There are so many factors as to why you are gaining.

If the OP is using the guided option for caloric intake with a set goal (i.e. 1lb loss/week) the yes you should eat back your exercise calories. For instance if I set up to lose 1 pound a week (3,500 cal deficit / 7 = 500/day) and MFP tells me to eat 2,000 calls that means to maintain I should be eating 2,500 cal/day. And if I exercise and burn 500 calories and don't eat them back I am now at a 1,000 cal/day deficit which is a 2 pound/week loss. This isn't so bad when you first start out or are extremely overweight but as you get closer to your goal weight it can be problematic. You never want to eat too few calories.