Calories burned on MFP app vs gym equipment

Options
I'm confused. When I go to the gym snd do cardio I put in my age and my weight and the equipment (Stationary bike, treadmill or elliptical machine) tells me how many calories I burned. When I go to log it in on MyFitnessPal app, MyFitnessPal has a questionable difference in the calories burned. I'm wonderring if MyFitnessPal is taking into account my age and weight as I have entered in my settings. Sometimes the calories burned difference is between 60 and 100 calories. Which number do you use and why?

Replies

• jennywasafriendofmine
    Options
    I usually rely on the gym equipment. I put my in my age and weight and the machines at my gym measure my heart rate while I'm working out, so I figure it's more accurate then what the app is saying.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I use MFP. I actually have a HRM with a chest strap, and that usually runs at least 100 cals OVER what MFP tells me I'm burning. I'd rather go for the lower number, so I'm not eating back all my exercise calories and then some and undoing all my hard work!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Neither number is bang-on accurate. They're both based on generic models, and the error between either model and reality is likely larger than the difference between the two readings. .

Pick one to follow, track it over time, see which corresponds best to your particulars and results.
  • JenT514
    JenT514 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's weird. For me the gym equipment always shows I burned less than what MyFitnessPal shows for the same amount of time. I do have a heart rate monitor but the battery died so guess I'll get a new battery and see with the heart rate monitor says and then maybe take an average of all three.... Just didn't want to eat all my calories back if I wasn't actually burning that many. Thanks guys.
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    Matters what I'm doing. I use the gym equipment rating if I'm on the elliptical. It has more points of reference and knows the effort I am exerting. I use my HRM with Icardio, When I'm indoors and stationary it has no idea what distance or speed I am traveling, I'd like to think in these conditions it is handicapped.

As far as MFP's estimates they can be over or under, this can change from workout to workout and person to person. The calories listed are just estimates. They are likely targeted for the average person, so if you fall into the average category they might be spot on. However, if you are on the fringe being either healthy or unhealthy they likely won't add up.

For example:

My HRM with Icardio saying on my usual 5 mile hike I'm burning around 1200 calories. Mind you my avg heart rate is in the high 170s, I run sprints up steep hills, and do intervals. I've also raised my zones after performing the Max heart rate test.

MFP for the same hike will say I'm burning ~800 calories. It has no idea the intensity I am using.

Icardio estimated I burnt 500cal before the HRM. With all the hills and elevation changes it tracked it like i was basically walking the whole distance.

My rule of thumb, when in doubt use the lower number. (as long as it isn't unrealistically low) + Use whatever has more point of reference.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The gym equipment can take your heart rate into consideration, as well as modified pace, inclines, and the like.

Personally I use my Polar FT4, but my weight is probably off by like 10 pounds.
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    When I am tracking calories burned, I rely solely on my HRM. I don't use the gym equipment to keep track of my calories. I use MFP for the sake of tracking my exercises, not necessarily to track calories burned. Thinking of picking up my HRM again, but I have at times worried too much about my caloric burn that my overall progress and health.

Hope this helps.