Exercise routine

Options
InigoMontoyasDad
InigoMontoyasDad Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I am sure this has been answered a million times, but what routines do ya'll recommend? When should one add weights? I started this thing yesterday at 6'5" and 299 pounds. At my fittest (playing basketball 3-4 hours most days), I was around 235 and would realistically like to get to a somewhat strong 250. I am not looking to be a body builder or anything, but some strength would be nice

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I use a 4 day upper/lower split of only compound exercises. I aim for 6-8 reps, 5 sets per exercise. I increase the weight when I can do 12+ reps and I could keep going. Then I know that weight has become too easy for me, and I increase. Depending on the muscle group will determine how much I increase (higher increases for legs and smaller increases for upper).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,839 Member
    Options
    Start strength training yesterday, too. ;)

There's a post here about strength routines others have found helpful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Despite the title, it does include some beginner bodyweight routines that can be done at home, if local coronavirus restrictions limit gym access and you don't have equipment at home.

For cardio, just do something that elevates your heart rate, that you find fun or at least tolerably enjoyable enough to do regularly. There are hundreds of possibilities, from the gym-based machines people often think of, to games (like your basketball), to daily life activities like walking/running/cycling/skating, to many types of martial arts or dance, to water-based things like swimming/canoeing/kayaking/rowing, to active video or VR games, and even things like playing with your kids or dog or walking around birdwatching at the park. Just have fun, and move more.

Avoid the trendy trap of believing that the only valuable cardio is some daily ultra-intense thing that leaves you miserable and exhausted. If elite athletes don't do high-intensity (to them) exercise every single day, why the heck would us normal people? Constant, exhausting intensity is not the best route to fitness or calorie burn.

Best wishes for good progress! :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I think strength training is good from the beginning! I really liked stronglifts 5x5 because it is so simple to follow. But you will need bars and plates. If you don't have access to free weights, squat rack, and bench, try a body weight routine from the thread listed above. I don't have access to the gym, so I am following Sydney Cummings on YouTube, which I can do with the few weights I have at home. Millionaire Hoy also has a beginner program on his channel.