big stomach

Options
Hi there, I have been on here for a year and I have lost 60 lbs. My question is what is the best way to get rid of my stomach? Sit ups? Crunches? What do you recommend? How many? How long before I can expect results? My measurements are 36-31-36 I would like to get into the 20’s.

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The only way to get rid of stomach fat is to continue to lose fat through a calorie deficit.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I find that eating healthy foods and cutting back on sodium helps with the bloating and gives you a 'flatter' appearance.
  • drico618
    Options
    Spot Reduce Response:
    While this is true, core-toning exercises will help the tummy muscles grow. As muscle grows it burns fat so you'll slowly tone. It's a slow process but what you're doing is getting rid of the layer of fat over your tummy muscles.

You may however, want to re-evaluate your diet.
  • SuperBott
    Options
    Unfortunately for all of us, spot training just doesn't work. In order to make fat disappear you have to make your body burn it as energy. You do that by eating better and physical exertion. Even then body fat disappears proportionate to where it's found. So for some people, alas, it is the last to go. For others it's the first, and they have other trouble spots.

If you want to know what the best exercises are for blasting fat, I'd recommend Interval running. Studies have shown a half hour of intervals to be as efficacious as a full hour of running at a moderate pace. Mix that in with some strength training every 2nd or 3rd day to put on more muscle (muscle is what burns the fat) and you'll be blasting it.

Good luck.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Fat loss happens in the kitchen, toning in the gym.

It may be time to re-evaluate your diet!
  • erdunn75
    erdunn75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you cant spot reduce fat. You can do ab work to strengthen the Abdominal muscles, but if there is fat on top it isnt going to show until you lose that. Abdominal fat is usually the last to go. You sound like you've done an amazing job so far, from your measurements and what I see in your pictures. Good for you! Just keep doing what your doing and it will come off. :)
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Eat less.

Forget about abs exercises unless you think you need them for posture or increasing your core strength.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    60 pounds is awesome!!!

Keep doing what you're doing. Eating sensibly, being more active, etc.
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you have had children in the past, google search DIASTASIS RECTI.
    Louise