Food Scale

Options
bcovely
bcovely Posts: 57 Member
So I am starting over.....again. I am doing it right this time. I bought a food scale and cant believe, when you weigh your food, the little amount a true serving is. Wow!! Any suggestions on getting full?

Replies

• mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Seriously! As you adjust your food/calorie intake, your body will adjust with it and become accustomed to less food so you feel full on less and aren't craving more. It just takes some patience. When losing weight, one will feel hungry, but that is, most often, a psychological feeling rather than real hunger.

And don't eat fewer calories so you can eat more later. That is probably one of the greatest mistakes most people make when making changes in eating habits. One can even hit their daily deficit calorie goal and gain weight. 600 calories during the entire day then stuffing down 800, 900, 1000 calories before sleep is almost a guarantee of adding pounds.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,431 Member
    Options
    You can eat more than one serving, however much that is. It just means you have to eat less of something else. I usually plan my meals around the main ingredients, and then add however much pasta, rice, couscous or other things fit into it. So one day I might make a pasta dish with cheese sauce and salmon, and only fit in 65gr of pasta, another day I make a tuna tomato pasta and fit in 90gr of pasta.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Preplan/prelog your day and then edit as needed. It will help!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

And don't eat fewer calories so you can eat more later. That is probably one of the greatest mistakes most people make when making changes in eating habits. One can even hit their daily deficit calorie goal and gain weight. 600 calories during the entire day then stuffing down 800, 900, 1000 calories before sleep is almost a guarantee of adding pounds.

I lost all my weight eating the majority of my calories later in the day because it's how I prefer to eat. I'm maintaining that way too. An 800-1,000 calorie dinner isn't at all unusual for me, but as long as I hit my calorie goal overall, things are fine. Your body is perfectly capable of processing food while you sleep and using the energy that night and the next day.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

This way of eating is exactly How I lost 50 lbs. skipping breakfast, small lunch, large dinner is what keeps me feeling satisfied while in a calorie deficit. When you eat your calories does not matter as long as you are in a calorie deficit you’ll lose weight. You just have to figure out how to spread out those calories in a way that works for you.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    But back to the OP...I found that adding a lot of lower-calorie but higher-volume foods like fresh vegetables helps me stay full. Almost every day, my lunch is a HUGE salad. Lots of food for not a lot of calories.

However, what keeps you full is very personal...some people find protein fills them up, other people say fat, some people say carbs. You have to experiment to see what works best for you.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    But back to the OP...I found that adding a lot of lower-calorie but higher-volume foods like fresh vegetables helps me stay full. Almost every day, my lunch is a HUGE salad. Lots of food for not a lot of calories.

However, what keeps you full is very personal...some people find protein fills them up, other people say fat, some people say carbs. You have to experiment to see what works best for you.

I have humongous salads for lunch (and usually dinner) too! How about some pictures of your next creation? 👍
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to eat a big salad at every meal... Also sliced raw veg and mushrooms are tasty sides. I like a pile of English cucumber slices and/or bell pepper strips and/or mushroom slices with a sandwich and also use a lot of greens inside the sandwich. Sometimes the filling is enough, wrapped in lettuce or the rest rolled up with a protein food slice or just eaten in a bowl of greens.
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Eat real food. Lots of fruit and veggies. Whole grains. Beans. Drink your water! Get enough protein and fat. I like Greek yogurt full of berries and a handful of nuts. It’s amazing how creative one can get with veggies and beans! (And a bit of cheese 🧀😛)
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I don't build my meals based on what a a label describes as a serving. It may take trial & error, but I portion according to my needs in terms of calories & satiety.

I don't always get it right. Sometimes I may need a little more after my dinner, so I tend to leave room for a small snack or additional dinner/food as needed. And sometimes I wait and decide I've had enough afterall.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Eat less. Seriously! As you adjust your food/calorie intake, your body will adjust with it and become accustomed to less food so you feel full on less and aren't craving more. It just takes some patience. When losing weight, one will feel hungry, but that is, most often, a psychological feeling rather than real hunger.

False. It works for some people. I eat a few hundred during the day then 2000+ right before bed and have maintained for years. I prefer to eat then and its when I am hungry. Don't listen to the false notion "eating before bed causes weight gain". For some people, it is the exact opposite.