Coffee Creamer

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    1/8 cup cold skim milk (17 calories) hand pumped in this baby about twenty times and then microwaved for 25 seconds. Any longer and you’ll wind up with whipped cream consistency milk all over your microwave. I tell ya, it’s like magic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016ULW6T0/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

WIth apologies to OP for the digression: I looked into this, and decided I needed one. Arrived yesterday. I still need to perfect not sloshing milk out at max fill 😆, but I'm gonna like this. Perfect for me: Measuring marks on the side (skim milk for coffee is one thing I measure rather than weigh), microwaveable glass, nice froth with luxurious texture. Thanks for mentioning it! 😋
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you use an alternative, which still tastes creamy, you are not retraining your brain to accept healthier foods.
    As others have said, wean yourself off so much creamer and get used to healthier alternatives.
    Losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle is about finding a healthy balanced diet, not just reducing calories.
    Good luck.🙂
  • tess77h
    tess77h Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One tablespoon of coffeemate creamer is 30 calories, that's all I need in my coffee every morning.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you use an alternative, which still tastes creamy, you are not retraining your brain to accept healthier foods.
    As others have said, wean yourself off so much creamer and get used to healthier alternatives.
    Losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle is about finding a healthy balanced diet, not just reducing calories.
    Good luck.🙂

We have to get dietary fat from somewhere. There's nothing inherently bad about getting it in our morning coffee if that's what we prefer.

(I understand OP may want to use those calories elsewhere and that's okay too).
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Good luck.🙂

For me, that sounds too much like the "suffer your way to weight loss" idea - that being fat is a sin to be expiated. There's no reason OP needs to give up all pleasure in eating, in order to lose weight. This is especially true when we're talking about something that's probably a minor percentage of OP's daily calorie budget (yet still a legitimate target to consider for calorie reduction, of course). "Creamy tasting" is not an inherent indicator of an unhealthy food.

Healthy weight management - mentally as well as physically healthy - is about finding a good personal balance of calories, nutrients, practicality . . . and yes, pleasure. Of course good well-rounded nutrition and generally healthy eating are extremely important - vital. Tastiness is a blessing. (The underlying implication that healthful foods aren't tasty - that you have to "train your brain to accept them" - is incorrect, besides.)

OP has been using whole milk, which is generally regarded as a healthy food for those who are not lactose sensitive/intolerant or the like . . . except by people who've fallen for the China study nonsense, or the like. Many of the alternatives suggested in the thread are not "unhealthy" either.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As far as considering this unhealthy: half a cup of whole milk is about 80 calories. It's about 4 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein. It's a pretty good source of vitamin D, riboflavin, B12, and calcium.

I think it's useful to tether this conversation to the actual details of the food OP is asking about it. I think it's easy to hear something like "I put whole milk in my coffee" and our mind may default to some calorie/fat bomb of a drink . . . but in the serving size OP is talking about, this is someone that could easily fit into many people's calorie/macro goals.

The relevant thing here is that we don't know how many cups of coffee OP is drinking. If we're talking multiple cups of coffee throughout the day, that does get harder and I can understand the need to come up with an alternative.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    As far as considering this unhealthy: half a cup of whole milk is about 80 calories. It's about 4 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein. It's a pretty good source of vitamin D, riboflavin, B12, and calcium.

I think it's useful to tether this conversation to the actual details of the food OP is asking about it. I think it's easy to hear something like "I put whole milk in my coffee" and our mind may default to some calorie/fat bomb of a drink . . . but in the serving size OP is talking about, this is someone that could easily fit into many people's calorie/macro goals.

The relevant thing here is that we don't know how many cups of coffee OP is drinking. If we're talking multiple cups of coffee throughout the day, that does get harder and I can understand the need to come up with an alternative.

I can also understand exploring whether there maybe equally pleasurable and still-nutritious options that are lower in calories, too. Most of us do a little juggling of such tradeoffs, especially at first, when working within a calorie goal.

On occasion, I've ended up finding alternative things that are more nutritious, similar or fewer calories, and same or more pleasurable to eat . . . there are potential wins, with an exploratory mindset.

(This is not a disagreement with the post quoted - it's agreement and extension.)

P.S. I wondered how many cups of coffee daily, too. 😉
  • sportygal1971
    sportygal1971 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Coconut cream! I mix vanilla and lavender or make a pumpkin spice blend..
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    I use half and half. About 2ml per oz of coffee roughly. So in 12-14oz of coffee, I pour 25ml. In my thermos, it's 22oz coffee and 40ml half and half. I am willing to use up to a max of 100 calories per day on this.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Nut Pods mixed with a tad of Horizons HWC

u7sk4mtn33lr.png

1ownrzmnkg4p.png

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You could try a milk with lower fat content and get a milk frother to foam it up a bit? Won't be quite the same but it can still mimic something a bit indulgent :)