Virtual races experiences

Options
dimrub
dimrub Posts: 11 Member
edited July 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi folks!

I'm exploring the issue of virtual running races (full exposure: the goal is writing an article on the subject). Would be happy to hear first hand experiences of folks who took part in one (or two, or many). It would be great to have your story here on the board, but if that's not possible, please pm me.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I did my first virtual race this past weekend.

During a normal race season I'll typically participate in at least two straight running events and three to five sprint / olympic distance triathlons, this year I was supposed to race my first half-iron distance tri. Covid-19 had other ideas and like many others found myself with nothing on my race calendar.

Due to a shoulder injury I haven't been swimming (dodged a bullet with the half-iron as it got deferred to next year) but wanted something to help keep the motivation levels up so I signed up for the Toronto Triathlon Festival virtual sprint duathlon. The event allowed for you to do the two runs & bike ride on different dates but being a bit of a purist I figured I'd be cheating myself if I didn't do them all on the same day, one after another like you would in a real race.

Saturday morning rolled around and I did my first run, bike ride and second run all in a time that I was satisfied with but my biggest observation was that running solo I found it harder to push my pace so both runs were, effectively, slightly faster training runs and for the ride I was on a shared MUP so I couldn't go all out as I would on a closed course (running into other people is considered poor form).

All in all I'm glad I signed up for it, had a good time and would certainly recommend that if you enjoy racing to sign up for an event with the caveat that it's still not the same as a real race. There's no finishing chute with a crowd cheering the finishers on and, as I said earlier, it felt a little lacking in the competitive side.

Just for fun I signed up for the Army Run virtual race for this upcoming September as it's also been cancelled due to the pandemic. This one may prove more fun for me as I'll be able, if I choose to, run the actual course that the race follows.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This year I've done a virtual half marathon and a virtual marathon. I have another virtual marathon planned for October. The virtual marathon was my seventh marathon if that context is helpful.

All of them were signed up for at the beginning of the year, so I didn't plan to have them be virtual. This year has turned out a lot different than I expected!

When my first planned 2020 marathon was switched to virtual, I was bitterly disappointed! I recognize it was necessary and the right decision, but I was planning to travel for it and was going to run it with a family member. It was something that I was looking forward to. But there wasn't a question in my mind about skipping the run: I knew right away I was going to do it. I had some anxiety about setting the course - I felt like there was so much to consider. I eventually decided to set a path that was ten miles out and ten miles back so I could use the restroom at my apartment building, refill my hydration vest, and then run the final few miles. I was worried about the psychological impact of being "home" and then having to head out for another few miles, but decided to stick with it.

The day of the race, I decided to aim for a specific start time to have more of an "event" feel. The first twenty miles were, frankly, very dull. I was running my usual twenty mile training route. It was kind of nice to have it be so familiar, but didn't do much to make the day feel special. The stop point at twenty miles worked fine because at that point I felt so excited at being mostly done (I didn't hit the wall until mile 22, haha). I really missed the excitement of other racers and spectators and that nice feeling you get having your post-run beer in the beer garden with other runners. One thing I hadn't planned for is that people are always trying to give you food and drinks during a marathon (at least the ones I've done) -- candy, fruit, dixie cups of beer, etc. So I brought the usual fuel I'd bring for a marathon, but I didn't account for the couple hundred calories I usually pick up along the way and I was feeling it towards the end.

Emotionally, it is very satisfying to have confirmed that I'm the kind of person who can run a marathon even when there is no specific event driving it and without outside support. The nagging worry of "can I really do this?" prior to the run was almost exactly like the worries I had before my first marathon and it was great to answer "YES."

For my upcoming virtual marathon, I think I may set a route that is less familiar. That is the only thing I would change from my June experience other than just including a bit more fuel.

I have not yet deliberately signed up for a virtual race. The stuff I like about racing is all people stuff. I typically train on my own and I can just do that for free - I don't need the motivation of a virtual race to get out the door (no judgment on people who find it useful, it's just not for me). If this thing stretches out longer and my local favorite racing organization is doing virtual races next year, I will probably sign up just so they continue to have cash flow.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    So far I’ve only done 5Ks as a virtual race. It’s just fun to get the medal, support a charity, and the runs are all a part of my regular training plan anyway. But it’s definitely not as fun as a “real” race. There’s no race atmosphere to get you excited and up your adrenaline.

I’m doing a virtual half at the end of August and I’m a little worried about not having that race day/crowd energy to push me forward. But I also I’m just having fun with it and have no pace goal or intention to try to PR.